Are there any RGP and RTS games for the DS?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Hugh, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I am getting a DS Light with Zelda (is this any good I have never played any the Zelda games on the Game Boys). Are there any more RPG or and RTS games on the DS? I prefer RTS games but choosers can't be too picky. :)

Hugh

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I don't think there is. I don't know if that new Final Fantasy counts, but that's like RPG and RTS together... Kind of. Try out Advance Wars, great game, it's turn based strategy.

3. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Assuming that by "RPG" you don't necessarily mean turn-based, yes, the new Final Fantasy XII: Revenent Wings. And Final Fantasy III DS. And Children of Mana. And the new Crystal Chronicles on the way.

RTS, no, there isn't.

No, the DS version is turn based for some reason. Thus not RTS.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you liked Windwaker on the Gamecube you'll like Phantom Hourglass. The control system is brilliant although I thought the game was very short (I beat it in a week with light playing). I thought they should've had the water drain and Hyrule appear as a half way point in the game. I'm telling you, then that game would rock.

My favorite RPG on the DS, oddly enough, is an Advance game: FFVI. I have FF Revenant Wings but I really think I hate it. Gameplay is really repetitive and the plot is awful. Then again, I really don't like the way the series is going in the first place. I plan on buying FFIV just for old times sake. Too me, RPG's suck compared to what has already been. It's like the entire industry has run out of good ideas.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Advance Wars: Dual Strike and the new Advance Wars: Days of Ruin are sweet turn-based strategy games.

Lethal

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

wasn't that shogun game an RTS ? which was crappy but it's not true hat there aren't any rts games

that said for other rpgs .. lunar knigths might be worth a look despite being a little bit on the action side
    or magical starsign
    Contact

8. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions on the games guys. Question; do the turn base games, are they like SEGA's Shining Force? Or are they like normal RPG where each side has a turn for the attack?

Also as for Zelda for the DS, I am enjoying it. I have Wind Walker for the Game Cube and hate it. I've only played it for small amount of time. I think I am still at the Volcano trying to figure out what to do.

Well anyways this is a good game, though it does remind me of Zelda 4 Swords the way the graphics are done. Playing with the stylus, dose have a learning curve though. LOL

Another question is. How the hell do you get a bomb to the tree blocks on the path to the cannon maker (back door). I can't seem to get a bomb close enough to get to the blocks of rock. How do you do this part? I have been trying to figure it out for 2 days now. :(

Hugh

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

You might want to have a look at Anno 1701 on the DS.

It's a RTS although the game focus mostly on colony building and economics rather than war. I'm not sure if this is a genre you'd enjoy. See for yourself. There are a lot of reviews out there since the game has been out for a while in Europe.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the game so far. It feels right at home on the DS and is entirely controlled with the stylus. This is not a quick and half-thought PC port like I feared at first.

Also, as GFLPraxis mentioned, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is pretty much a RTS-RPG hybrid.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Lost Magic is actually kind of a RTS(OK turn base.)/RPG.

I don't recall how to bomb those rocks. If I hadn't loaned my game to a friend after I finally beat it, I would check on it. Awesome game though. I played it until I had all of the crystal-gem-thingies. :)

<]=)

11. Igantius macrumors 65816

Orcs & Elves is a (very) old-school RPG that's reasonably fun for its 5-6 hours of gameplay if you can pick up cheaply.

Just got this and totally agree with what you've said - although I thought I would enjoy it, it's even better than I expected and the stylus works so well.

12. woross macrumors newbie

I know about some..

well there are some rts games on ds:

1. War! (not released yet)
    2. Squad command (not warhammer)
    3. Lego battles
    4. Robocalypse

i hope you will like those games ;)
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    :):):)
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    ROFLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

13. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

That is the best RTS hands down, even got multiplayer, i think it was featured on Cnet-top five games or something like that

give it a try.