Are there any risks to upgrade to the GM that is floating around?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brinycbri, Jun 10, 2009.

  1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    #1
    I know that if you hack with the ipcc for ATT, you might lose visual voicemail

    are there any risks in upgraded to just the GM? Would I lock my phone out whenever something comes up?

    Or is it no probleM? Thx
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Why not just wait a week and not worry about it.
     
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #3
    Agreed. It's a week away, and if you upgrade now, you'll need to upgrade to the official version then anyway.

    As stunningly awesome as rotated keyboards for texting and email might be :)rolleyes:), there's nothing that can't wait seven days. It's nice, yes, but it's not incredible.

    Unless you tend to lose your iPhone and are a MobileMe member. Then it's pretty cool. But it can still wait a week. You'll still have it ahead of all the 3G S buyers. :)
     
  4. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    #4
    I did it, and it works great. I did both an update and restore separately, no problems. It is much more stable than the 3.0 beta 5, that's all I know!
     
  5. eezing macrumors 6502

    eezing

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    #5
    No, there are no risks of installing the GM if you plan to upgrade to 3.0 anyway. GM is the final version, unless something goes really wrong between now and release, then you may have to re-install a later version which is no big.

    The whole visual voice mail issue is actually not an issue at all. It's standard if you perform a clean install. The first time you open voice mail it will dial up. Just end the call and re-dial, the password prompt will the appear. Enter your password, end the call, close the app and then re-open and your good.

    If you have a copy, I say go for it. Then you won't have to worry about a bricked phone on release day as everyone and their mother tries to update at the same time.
     
  6. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

    Lexoticstylez02

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Location:
    Orlando, Florida
    #6
    I updated yesterday and it has been working wonderfully, it doesn't ask for any developer information at all. It's legit, don't worry about it harming your phone.
     
  7. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    #7
    I upgraded as well, no issues, the only thing i can see happening is perhaps a new ipcc on june 17th if AT&T decides to get their act together and give us MMS, otherwise im guessing that will be down the road. Bottom line, go ahead and do it, your phone isnt going to blow up
     
  8. Acronym macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2008

Share This Page