Are there any rumors out there about Ipod Touch and GPS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rodgertakeuchi, Jul 16, 2008.

1. rodgertakeuchi macrumors newbie

Now that the iphone has gps in it, I was wondering if this would soon drop in line for the ipod touch as well.

I actually plan on getting an iMac with a student discount and was going to get an Ipod touch... but had really wanted to wait till it had GPS ability which would really give me a reason to buy the thing. Has there been any thing in the rumor mill to confirm that after the school discounts are over that they will drop it in? Should I wait or should I just get it?

Thanks in advanced... damn indecission!

2. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

september for new iPods

GPS uses google maps
    Google Maps uses internet connection, wifi or cellular
    Fat lot of good GPS is when you have no internet to load up your location

3. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Don't think it will happen. Remeber: an iPod touch is still only an iPod.

If a GPS application gets relaesed, so all the maps are stored on the iPhone/iPod Touch, then maybe, possibly... but not likely...

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If Apple follows the same patten as in the past, new iPods will not be released until after the back-to-school deal ends.

Not really worth waiting, I think.

5. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I don't think that they will add gps is this round of revisions. gps takes us a lot of battery would also increase the cost of the device. Also the gps would confuse the line between the ipod touch and the iphone. So, I wouldn't hold me breath.

6. Jdterry macrumors newbie

when I got my iBook three years ago they giving away the iPod mini and soon discontinued them. I wonder if they will do the same with the itouch? Or if there is a major upgrade in the works?

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

How useful would GPS be with only WiFi? If you're standing in one place, I hope to god you know where you are.

8. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

I don't really think that Apple would release and iPod with GPS capabilities. I mean for the love of God, it's still an iPod as someone else said. Besides wouldn't adding GPS to the iPod touch just cannibalize sales of the iPhone?

9. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

GPS in Touch = no.

I wish, though. But it wouldn't make sense in lieu of the iPhone.

After the Back to School clearout, I would imagine new Touch versions will be released for the holiday season. Maybe external volume controls and external speakers?? That would be nice.

Denser dpi would be nice, too... but that would follow the iPhone, I'm sure. And get rid of the stupid chrome backing to be replaced with brushed aluminum. Geez, that's a no-brainer.

10. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

I wanted to say that I desperately want Apple to add downloading of Podcasts through the Wifi Music Store. Please please please please. That way I can leave my Mac at home during business trips and still have TWiT on my playlist for the ride home.

I know there are workarounds via the web but seriously. So easy to implement... not even a hardware thing. Just make it an update! Damn!

11. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

or atleast a way to cache the area around you, so you can use it without wifi, i'd have england saved in, it would only be about 100mb.