Are there any 'soft' skins/cases available for MBPs?...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ToTo Man, May 25, 2010.

1. ToTo Man macrumors regular

Are there any 'soft' skins/cases available for MBPs like the rubber/silicone skins you can buy for the iPod touch, or is it only hardshell cases that are available for MBPs?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you sure you wanna go with a soft skin? heat dissipation is massively reduced :(

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The case I linked has pretty much holes in the bottom which is the main way of heat dissipation (the top doesn't dissipate really)

[​IMG]

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea a friend has that one, and personally i would be scared to get one. probably leads to a 5°C increase in temps overall.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hard to say, see the pic now, I hassled with it before somehow :p Plastic/rubber is an insulator though so it might increase temps by little but there are still a lot free space on aluminum surface plus the keyboard (inner bottom) dissipates heat as well

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea i guess so. as long as it doesnt close the vents near the bottom of the screen! hehe.

7. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I was wondering about heat dissipation. Shouldn't be a problem in the UK climate and the indoor temperature of the house doesn't exceed 20'C anyway. I've had my MBP for a fortnight and CPU temps haven't exceeded 60'C, although I haven't done any hardcore productivity on it like video rendering. But I guess it could be an issue when I'm abroad on holiday if the MBP is in direct sunlight....

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

always best to run some tests then i guess. if you are stationary and need to do some computational work i guess you could take it out of the case? im not exactly sure how hard that would be..

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In direct sunlight, it could even be a pro as rubber doesn't conduct heat as aluminum does so it might block the most of the heat i.e. insulate the MBP.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you are right there i reckon. maybe we should perform some real world tests. go buy a MBP :p

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sure, give me 2000€ first :p And you already have one so why can't you be our guinea pig? Australia is ideal for testing too :cool:

@OP: If you end up getting one, just keep your eye on temps (use iStat Pro) and you'll be fine. Direct sunlight is never good anyway, so try to stay in shadows

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

my MBP idles at 80°C lol.. not even the sun can make it any hotter :p (thanks intel for your crappy CDs!).

maybe he wants a tan? lol. it will be fine!

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

A tanned MBP? LOL :p Anyway, keeping eyes on iStat is the best thing to do, no matter where you are

14. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

I used to love sun worshipping but now I'm allergic to it (thank you global warming!!! :mad:). Seems like my MBP is allergic to it too, as the Apple Logo is visible THROUGH the screen when the sun shines on the aluminium case!...

On a serious note, is direct sunlight on the aluminium side of the screen bad for the LED screen itself? Surely Apple can't expect users to be able to keep their laptops out of sunlight 100% of the time? :rolleyes:

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The screen is still TN, the backlight is LED :rolleyes: Anyway, as I said, components don't like heat and sunlight = heat, so it's better to use them out of direct sunlight but unless it's very hot and you're on the sunlight for like hours, it'll be fine. They are designed to handle sunlight but not for long amount of time. Not sure does the UV do something but it shouldn't.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sure why not. what colour does silver turn when it gets burnt? red :p just like we do!

lol it will be fine. stop stressing. just go end enjoy using the thing.