Are there any UK announcements for iPad Apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ParishYoung, May 7, 2010.

1. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Just wondered if anyone is aware of any recent press releases or otherwise regarding Apps or customised websites for the iPad.

For the US launch there was the Apps from the Keynote, and then Apple had a page dedicated to "optimised sites that display brilliantly on iPad" etc. but there has been nothing for the UK so far.

I have contacted BBC, ITV, Channel 4, and Five to see if they have plans to adapt their Internet TV services for iPad. Although I did read on the BBC site that they wont be having the iPlayer on iPad due to DRM issues (seems odd to me, especially as it's already on iPhone, and why don't they just make an App if that's the case)

I also contacted FHM to see if they have plans to release an App (or maybe release issues through existing Apps like Zinio)

Are there any more you are aware of, or would like to see??

2. ParishYoung thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol. The best we get is an App that was initially written in Flash and in it's simplest form "shows pictures"

And this from the national newspaper that is featured on Apple's own iPad page.

Oh dear. I was hoping for something a bit more like the Popular Science e-magazine.

Ah well, early days yet I suppose.

3. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Well you can always buy the US apps with a US iTunes account.

4. Ratty macrumors 6502

I've given up on my iTunes UK account, I just use the US one now.

5. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Are there many good US apps that we can't get in UK? I mean, it's not like we can play the ABC Player etc.

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Ironically, BBC News. It is, and will continue to be blocked in the UK because of anti-monopoly rules from the BBC Trust, but it's available in the US. Plus, the use of Promo Codes is a good point. iWork is only available on the US Store at the moment. Can't think of much else right now but there's quite a few I have that aren't available here.

7. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I'm sure the iWork apps will launch here on or soon after the International release. We're getting iBooks, it would really surprise me if we didn't get the iWork suite.

8. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I've already been buying apps using my iTunes UK account. Search for a specific title and you might find it (doesn't apply to iWork, iBooks).

I've bought Worms HD, Geometry Wars, Civ Rev, PvZ already. Getting ready so I can just sync and go.

9. sandyjmacdonald macrumors 6502

You can use the ABC Player in the UK.

All you need is a US VPN. I signed up for one with StrongVPN the other day. And I can use Hulu on my iMac now too.

Plus, if you get their 3 city special (SF, NY and UK) you'll be able to use the iPlayer when you travel to the US.

10. Onlineal macrumors newbie