Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I've been playing around with it for awhile and can't find anything that's actually a significant upgrade except Do not Disturb.

-Passbook doesn't work
-Maps is missing half the data other maps apps have
-Facebook intergration? Screws up all your contacts/ why would you want facebook having access to all your phones data.

So is there anything else that was updated and I'm missing it? Or am I right in feeling that the "update" is a massive disappointment?

tnick777

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
I updated and sat there for a few minutes looking through my phone trying to remember why I was so excited... Yeah flyby was cool like... 3 minutes... but after that I was like... k... this is like going from Lion to Mountain Lion... :/

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Nothing. After 5 minutes of playing around I was completely underwhelmed.... Thank god for jailbreaking.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

The phone dialer is cool! Also, music app is better and u can configure the tabs.

I like full screen landscape in safari and the privacy settings.

It's not a magical update, but I like it way more than iOS5.x

In time, Apple will have Maps and Passbook at 100% and you'll ever wonder how you lived without it.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
-Facebook intergration? Screws up all your contacts/ why would you want facebook having access to all your phones data.

So is there anything else that was updated and I'm missing it? Or am I right in feeling that the "update" is a massive disappointment?

whats funny is that theres settings where you can turn off the contacts option for facebook and you chose to manually sign into facebook so whos fault is that?

didn't know a phone had the capabilities of putting a gun to your head :rolleyes::D

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Not trolling here but it's chock full of meh and fail. We know there's a pissing contest with google, fine. Don't replace the app until you have a good replacement.

Subscriptions for podcasts is a very obvious feature and was glad to see it. The damn app itself sucks. After a reboot it would finally allow seek inside casts.

Sometimes you can't improve on success, the design works. Can we improve on the knife and fork? No. Change for sake of change just means good becomes suck. The stuff in iOS that was good was good. Anyone calling it stale is a fashion whore and unworthy of love. The stuff that did suck and needed change was left unaddressed. iTunes is sill an abomination. App Store fix is fail.

Honestly, this feels like a Microsoft fail.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
For me, the major feature was getting my phone number onto my iPad and computer for iMessage purposes. Even if that was the only feature added in, I would have been thrilled.

Some other improvements:

1) "Find Friends" (nice feature, although it seems it was around before? Now can know where family members are with ease)

2) Mail seems to synchronize with OS X 10.8's Mail better (VIPs, flagged)

3) Do Not Disturb feature

4) Camera now supports panoramas (iPhone 4S and newer hardware only)

5) Safari tab syncing across iCloud

Minor improvements:

6) Songs can now be used as alarm tones
7) Reminders app - swiping between lists now takes place at the list header, instead of within the list itself (prevents situations where a swipe is interpreted as a tap on a list item)
8) Backlight fades in when the screen is turned on

Not a feature you'd notice, but more privacy/security layers and options have been put in place.

I'm happy with it.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Turn-by-turn navigation and panoramic photos are nice. Siri does quite a bit more.

I love the concept if Passbook - an auto-updating location aware hub for your dealings with the real world. There's much to build on here.

morphius111

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
For me, the major feature was getting my phone number onto my iPad and computer for iMessage purposes. Even if that was the only feature added in, I would have been thrilled.

Some other improvements:

1) "Find Friends" (nice feature, although it seems it was around before? Now can know where family members are with ease)

2) Mail seems to synchronize with OS X 10.8's Mail better (VIPs, flagged)

3) Do Not Disturb feature

4) Camera now supports panoramas (iPhone 4S and newer hardware only)

5) Safari tab syncing across iCloud

Minor improvements:

6) Songs can now be used as alarm tones
7) Reminders app - swiping between lists now takes place at the list header, instead of within the list itself (prevents situations where a swipe is interpreted as a tap on a list item)
8) Backlight fades in when the screen is turned on

Not a feature you'd notice, but more privacy/security layers and options have been put in place.

I'm happy with it.

How do you get your phone number onto the computer? This can be cool if possible.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
How do you get your phone number onto the computer? This can be cool if possible.

I think you need an iPhone. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. After you do it there, you'll get an alert on your other devices. Provided you have the latest software installed on them.

morphius111

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
I think you need an iPhone. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. After you do it there, you'll get an alert on your other devices. Provided you have the latest software installed on them.

My phone number is a default on my iPhone.
My question was, can I send messages from my iMac as my phone user ID? I don't seem to be able to insert the iPhone number into my messages on my iMac

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
My question was, can I send messages from my iMac as my phone user ID? I don't seem to be able to insert the iPhone number into my messages on my iMac

You can. You have to add your email to the messages setting on your phone. Then the computer (messages and FaceTime) will allow you to set your number as default.

Edit: You need 10.8.2 for that.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012

Oh, my bad. Yes, yes you can. You need the latest OS X version (10.8.2). Open Messages.app, preferences (⌘,), go to the Accounts tab, choose your iMessage account, you'll see a "Start new conversations from:" setting. There you can choose your number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.