Are there any useful updates in iOS6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by furam90, Sep 19, 2012.

1. furam90 macrumors regular

I've been playing around with it for awhile and can't find anything that's actually a significant upgrade except Do not Disturb.

-Passbook doesn't work
    -Maps is missing half the data other maps apps have
    -Facebook intergration? Screws up all your contacts/ why would you want facebook having access to all your phones data.

So is there anything else that was updated and I'm missing it? Or am I right in feeling that the "update" is a massive disappointment?

2. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

I updated and sat there for a few minutes looking through my phone trying to remember why I was so excited... Yeah flyby was cool like... 3 minutes... but after that I was like... k... this is like going from Lion to Mountain Lion... :/

3. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

This update seems a lot more rushed and broken than I've ever seen with iOS.

4. TJ5921 macrumors regular

5. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Auto brightness seems to work better

That's pretty big

6. Macclone macrumors 6502

7. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Nothing. After 5 minutes of playing around I was completely underwhelmed.... Thank god for jailbreaking.

9. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

The phone dialer is cool! Also, music app is better and u can configure the tabs.

I like full screen landscape in safari and the privacy settings.

It's not a magical update, but I like it way more than iOS5.x

In time, Apple will have Maps and Passbook at 100% and you'll ever wonder how you lived without it.

10. white4s macrumors 65816

whats funny is that theres settings where you can turn off the contacts option for facebook and you chose to manually sign into facebook so whos fault is that?

didn't know a phone had the capabilities of putting a gun to your head :rolleyes::D

11. jollyreaper macrumors regular

Not trolling here but it's chock full of meh and fail. We know there's a pissing contest with google, fine. Don't replace the app until you have a good replacement.

Subscriptions for podcasts is a very obvious feature and was glad to see it. The damn app itself sucks. After a reboot it would finally allow seek inside casts.

Sometimes you can't improve on success, the design works. Can we improve on the knife and fork? No. Change for sake of change just means good becomes suck. The stuff in iOS that was good was good. Anyone calling it stale is a fashion whore and unworthy of love. The stuff that did suck and needed change was left unaddressed. iTunes is sill an abomination. App Store fix is fail.

Honestly, this feels like a Microsoft fail.

12. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

For me, the major feature was getting my phone number onto my iPad and computer for iMessage purposes. Even if that was the only feature added in, I would have been thrilled.

Some other improvements:

1) "Find Friends" (nice feature, although it seems it was around before? Now can know where family members are with ease)

2) Mail seems to synchronize with OS X 10.8's Mail better (VIPs, flagged)

3) Do Not Disturb feature

4) Camera now supports panoramas (iPhone 4S and newer hardware only)

5) Safari tab syncing across iCloud

Minor improvements:

6) Songs can now be used as alarm tones
    7) Reminders app - swiping between lists now takes place at the list header, instead of within the list itself (prevents situations where a swipe is interpreted as a tap on a list item)
    8) Backlight fades in when the screen is turned on

Not a feature you'd notice, but more privacy/security layers and options have been put in place.

I'm happy with it.

13. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Turn-by-turn navigation and panoramic photos are nice. Siri does quite a bit more.

I love the concept if Passbook - an auto-updating location aware hub for your dealings with the real world. There's much to build on here.

14. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

15. morphius111 macrumors member

How do you get your phone number onto the computer? This can be cool if possible.

16. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

I think you need an iPhone. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. After you do it there, you'll get an alert on your other devices. Provided you have the latest software installed on them.

17. morphius111 macrumors member

My phone number is a default on my iPhone.
    My question was, can I send messages from my iMac as my phone user ID? I don't seem to be able to insert the iPhone number into my messages on my iMac

18. b.tuszkiewicz macrumors member

this

19. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

Nope, other then "Do not Disturb" nothing improved.

20. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

You can. You have to add your email to the messages setting on your phone. Then the computer (messages and FaceTime) will allow you to set your number as default.

Edit: You need 10.8.2 for that.

21. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

Oh, my bad. Yes, yes you can. You need the latest OS X version (10.8.2). Open Messages.app, preferences (⌘,), go to the Accounts tab, choose your iMessage account, you'll see a "Start new conversations from:" setting. There you can choose your number.

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Amen :D