Are there any well-designed iPhone Wireless Chargers out there?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Compile 'em all, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I am currently looking to purchase a Qi wireless charger for iPhone and have yet to find a decent looking one. Everything I have encountered looks like...garbage. The Belkin looks like a router, the Mophie is cheap black plastic. The charger will be "always visible", it needs to look good and simple, to feel like it is a piece of furniture. Not like a black slab of electronics on my nightstand. The Aukey has a good idea but execution is poor (i.e light indicator is always on and too bright to use in a dark rook, no color options other than "jeans blue").

The only one that seems to fit the bill is the Ikea one but I read it is only 5w. So no fast charging. The Apple one isn't out yet. So what are my options?

2. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I'm sorry but the Mophie isn't cheap black plastic. It's metal with a rubberized coating. A simple disk with a softer ring works and looks fine to me. I have no idea what you are looking for?

3. puma1552 macrumors 603

The Belkin looks about as nice as a non-Apple one could look, and it fits in with the rest of Apple's aesthetic, for the most part and looks non-offensive. I agree the Mophie one doesn't look like it fits with Apple design at all.

That said, AirPower is hopefully only 6 weeks away...hopefully.

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I use the samsung fast charge stand that can be used flat or standing up..

5. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Did you read my post? Why do you like ugly things? Don't recommend ugly things.

[​IMG]

6. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Did you not read mine? That is not the charger I’m on about. That charger can not be used flat

The new one Samsung uses is a nice design and has a fan inside so it never gets hot

[​IMG]

7. Ncompletelife macrumors member

Won’t get much help with that kinda attitude op. Just saying. What you defin3 ugly others might not, people are not gonna sit here recommend something to have you say something negative about everything.

8. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

9. Compile 'em all, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

What is well designed or good looking about this?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2018 ---
    I expect users of an Apple product to have a minimum appreciation of something that looks good or well designed. Something simple. Otherwise why would they be using an iPhone to begin with? If you were using an Android, sure. But you can't reply here and post (like the dude above) something that looks like a robotic arm/car dash mount and possibly think this is good looking in a home, on a night stand. In a car, ok...it will pass. Utility wins. But a wireless charger provides very little utility, it is a flat rounded surface. It has to look good.

10. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

11. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

So far the nicest looking wireless charger I could find is the Native Union one, but it is out of stock. Now THAT is a well-designed product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2018 ---
    Thanks. This however has a LED light which (according to the webpage is always on until it is fully charged) makes it not usable in a bedroom at night.

12. David58117 macrumors 65816

Gotta disagree with you there. This looks like something my cat would pick, and my cat has poor taste.

13. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

14. Ncompletelife macrumors member

Ya I’m done because I don’t spend 100$ for accessories I shouldn’t be using a iPhone ? Ya okay bye lol.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2018 ---
    Exactly looks like scratching pad for a cat.

15. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

16. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Talk about UGLY.

17. venom600 macrumors 6502a

You have a very limited imagination if design is the only reason you think someone uses Apple products. I'd have switched to Windows and Android years ago but iTunes sucks for Windows and I love the integration between Messages on my computer and phone. Everything else I do professionally is done easier in Windows. That said, I agree that since it is likely to just be sitting out away from the computer it should look like it fits the environment. These are some good looking ones I found:

https://www.woolet.co/products/qi-charging-pad?variant=26852289478

https://www.hellonomad.com/wireless-travel-stand

https://www.cloveandtwine.com/produ...tHGQeWY_A4Xn-VhIoOyGVmqTHYW-4e_RoCFegQAvD_BwE

18. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Here are two I've recently saved to my wish list, but being from Australia, I'm not sure the power adapters will suit...
    First one comes with the power brick...
    Anker PowerWave 7.5 Stand, 7.5W Fast Wireless Charger for iPhone X, iPhone 8 / 8 Plus and 10W Fast Charger for Samsung S9 / S9+ / S8 / S8+ / S7 / Note 8, with Quick Charge 3.0 AC Adapter Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TDLHY9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_XKR6Ab194TE4B

Second one has no power brick...
    Attom Tech Fast Wireless Charger Stand 7.5W for iPhone X 8 Plus, 10W for Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus S8/Note 8/5/S7, 5W for All other Qi Devices; Aluminum Canvas Fabric Wireless Charging Station Base https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KSSY9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_CMR6AbXZMG9HF

Both nicely designed imo, with subtle LED's (bedstand-friendly).

Surprised by multi-reactions.

I like it. Wouldn't get it myself because it's a flat type charger, but the pattern looks modern/sophisticated.

19. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

20. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

Glad thread starter found his charger.

I’m using Mophie wireless. It’s slim black design is nice. 7.5w is the highest charge an iPhone will accept, so it’s just perfect.

Works like a charm. I leave it on top of Mophie all night and no issues of iPhone being warm etc.

[​IMG]

21. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Just arrived couple of days ago. Aluminum and leather. Perfect simple design

[​IMG]

22. gjamesm42 macrumors member

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Charger-ESR-Ultra-Slim-Fast-Charging/dp/B07856GC4Y

This is a good bedroom charger.

23. NimbleforGood macrumors newbie

NimbleforGood

24. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

If we’re talking about design, why are all these chargers ROUND? To me, aesthetically it looks weird to have a phone dangling off the edges.

What about making a pad that mirrors the dimensions of the phone? Then there’s no question about alignment as most peoples dexterity is quite good at stacking things of the same dimension.

As for LEDs: black Sharpie. Problem solved.

25. msp3 macrumors regular

Have been having this issue as well (no AirPower), some quick thoughts if you do the next best thing and only buy Apple Store-carried models (ratings range from 2.5 stars to 4.5 stars)

Mophie: Came out with the X and 8/Plus, got a price cut to $40. Reviews say solid construction (even though plastic), does not charge well if not centered

Belkin Boost Up: Came out with the X and 8/Plus, can be found at non-Apple retailers (with a slightly off UPC number in a much cheaper looking box) for $30. Reviews say plasticky and feels cheap.

Belkin Boost Up Special Edition: Came out with the iPhone XS/XR, Apple Store exclusive at $60. Reviews say solid constructions with nice materials (metal). There's slightly off non-Apple Store model (no metal) selling for same price (and comes in [Rose?] Gold) at Target but 30% off during Black Friday

Belkin Boost Up Special Edition iPhone + Apple Watch: Came out with the iPhone XS/XR, for $160 as another Apple Store exclusive. Feels quite expensive for what it is

Logitech: Cradle-style charger, $70. Reviews say very good build quality and design, only sold at Apple Store or Logitech itself