Are there cheap upscalers?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iOryan, Aug 24, 2008.

1. iOryan macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a HD Capture Card (Black Magic's Intensity Pro) for my Mac Pro. It captures at 720p and 1080i, but sadly doesn't have the ability to capture 480p. I want to capture some footage from my Wii, which you may already know is only capable of producing a 480p signal. This leads me to my question -- Is there a cheap way of upscaling the 480p Wii output to a 720p output so I can capture it with my capture card? I personally don't want to spend $1500 for a home theater upscaler since my only plan is to capture Wii footage.

-Ryan (not 100% sure if this belongs here, please move if necessary)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not what Black Magic says.

3. iOryan thread starter macrumors newbie

"HD Format Support 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 720p50 and 720p59.94."

or am I missing something? If I am, my apologies.

From what I tried, I was unable to capture at 480p with the software provided. I could only capture when my wii was set to the default 480i and was running thru my composite cables (with the software set to capture the SD NTSC signal).

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What's the difference between the listed SD resolution 525/29.97 and 480p?

5. iOryan thread starter macrumors newbie

ok im probably missing something... but I'll try to explain what i think the problem is

The Wii can only output 480p with its component cables. The capturing software included with the card only caps their included presets.

These presets are shown below,
    [​IMG]

from what I remember (i'll have to test again) when I picked the NTSC preset, it only read the signal when the wii was set to 480i and the composite cables were used.

6. Griffter macrumors member

Griffter

I've got the same card, are you running the latest firmware update? They released one not so long ago..

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

NTSC is 525 scan lines, but only 486 of those scan lines actually make it to an NTSC monitor (the remaining lines contain sync information, time code, closed captioning, etc.). Most CRT TVs overscan the image, which gives us approximately 480 lines of actual viewable resolution.

The problem is that 480p really isn't NTSC, a 50-year old broadcast standard for interlaced rastering. Rather, it's a specification of the CEA-derived term "EDTV". It scans an NTSC or PAL (in the case of PAL, we have 576 viewable lines) signal progressively. In the case of the Wii, all it's really doing is bypassing your digital TV's built-in de-interlacing by progressively scanning the video prior to output. In theory (but not always in practice), this will yield better video quality. Progressive-scan DVD players essentially do the same thing. The video itself STILL starts out interlaced on the actual disc because it has to adhere to the NTSC-D1 (720x480) standard.

Perhaps your capture card is looking for a native 525/480i NTSC signal and not a de-interlaced one. I'm pretty sure there's a way to force 480i output even over the component video output of the Wii. Check the system menu. The true advantage of using component video over composite is better color resolution, NOT progressive scan. Computer monitors and digital TVs HAVE to de-interlace (progressively scan) anyway when an interlaced signal is present. And with modern electronics, you'd be hard-pressed to see a difference between 480i and 480p material on a computer monitor or digital TV.