Are there differences in classic unibody cases?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dragonlance1561, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Dragonlance1561 macrumors member

Dragonlance1561

Are there differences? I have a Late 08 MBP 15" and the case has been dented badly, but it otherwise functions perfectly.
    If I find an upper case (this: http://www.is-pc-parts.com/images/Mac Replacement Parts/13015787750.jpg) from a newer Mac will I be able to install my older hardware inside it?
    I've found many many upper cases on eBay that claim to be model A1286 (same as mine) but from 2010-2011 as well as 08 and 09
    Is this because it hasn't changed at all?
    Note: I know apple made the batteries built-in since my model, but the framework for the battery door is removable if I recall from the various times I've opened mine up, so I could transfer it to the new case maybe?

If the design has changed enough to not work for what I want to do, how do I identify the one model that will work?

2. Ploki macrumors 68010

Nope.
    Late08 has expresscard slot.... Meaning the ports wont lineup at all.
    Also, the battery door framework is carved into the unibody, the new unibodies don't have it.

By the rule of thumb, they're not compatible or interchangeable. Late08 is the only with Express card and removable battery so it's even more different than all others.

3. Dragonlance1561 thread starter macrumors member

Dragonlance1561

Right, I almost forgot about the express card slot...
    So how do I tell them apart in an eBay listing? Since "model A1286" seems to be non-specific...
    Is there a different model number I should look for?

4. simsaladimbamba

To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

5. Dragonlance1561 thread starter macrumors member

Dragonlance1561

Mine is a MBP 5,1
    But very few listings include this information...
    Oh well, I'll just have to contact sellers.

What about the case Lid? Does anyone know if those have changed?
    Thanks!