Are there different dual-cores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Am Kestrel, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Am Kestrel macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I may go with a 13 rmbp instead of the 15. Is the dual core in the pro more powerful & different than one in a cell phone? Also I am a casual user and do not use it for business,will be storing maybe a 1,000 songs and 2,000 photos so 128gb ssd should be fine right? Thanks for any advice you may have!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Of course

There are hundreds of different dual core chips, the ultra low power ARM architecture in smartphones are designed for low power consumption not computational power.

The Dual core i5 in the rMBP is actually a pretty damn powerful beast with surprisingly good graphics and a pretty fast clock speed. The macbook Pro can do most computing jobs and run most applications and programs with little issue.

For just music and photos an ipad might be more what you need but the macbook pro will certainly be more than good enough for you. Do notice that this computer has no optical disc drive so if you want to run dvds or cds an external is needed.

3. Am Kestrel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Samuelsan. A iPad would work, but I like photography and wouldn't a MacBook pro be better for photo editing?

4. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Yes, it (rMPB) is a better machine for photo editing. I chose the 13 rMBP over the 15 for one simple reason. The 15 was too big and heavy. I came from a 13 MBA, so I am extremely sensitive to the size and weight of a laptop that I am schlepping around.