Are There Enough Moderators?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Vihzel, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I was just wondering if there is enough moderators for such a busy forum site like this. I just found it unusual to see 6600 members and 0 moderator presence. I'm a member of other forums and there's usually always 1 moderator or someone with "moderator capabilities".

Just a concern when a moderator is needed and there's no help available.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Moderators can have the 'appear offline' option enabled on their profile so you can't tell if they are here.

3. Vihzel thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, I see. I'm not exactly sure why they would want to be hidden. If I was a moderator, I would want to appear online in case anyone wanted to contact me directly for help.

4. Hellhammer, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Maybe that's the reason, they don't want to be contacted. I think the preferred way to contact admins and mods is through the Contact Form. Of course, if you don't find your question too personal, you can post it to this forum. Remember to check the FAQ and Rules before posting though, some of your questions may have been answered already.

New mods were added only a few months ago. It has helped the situation a bit but it still does not guarantee that at least one of them is online all the time. Usually someone is though. Sure, there are some inactive mods that haven't been online for weeks, or even for months.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

While I'm sure everyone has their own reasons, I think some moderators could be heckled at for doing their jobs by irate members. If you have a question for someone, you can always PM them. Of course by virtue of this being a series of forums, you could always just search for the answer to your question (and if that doesn't work) or create a thread in the appropriate section. :)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Quite frankly, this site can't afford to name any more moderators. They seem to just disappear. :D

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

If you see a problem post, just report it. That's the best way to let us know that something needs attention.

The FAQ answers most questions about how to use the site, and you can use the Contact us form for anything that doesn't fit the post-report bill.

This section is fine for general questions about the forum.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The new crew has made a noticeable impact on the response time and number of issues that get taken care of. It's a lot better now than it was a few months ago.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Are you seeing an issue that needs to be resolved? Or do you just want a moderator online for the sake of being online?

I actually have some stuff setup on my computer so when I'm online (not necessarily at MacRumors) I get alerted if issues arise and are reported by members. This way I don't have to set up camp here during the 99% of the time when everybody is behaving.... you ARE behaving right? RIGHT?

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes we are, but the panda in your avatar is definitely, definitely not.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That is from MR's office when SilentPanda was ordered to moderate the iPhone forums :D

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What could possibly be so urgent on a forum that would require immediate moderator involvement?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Probably someone said MAC instead of Mac.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

A while back when Jobs announced he was taking his leave of absence x2, someone was going around spouting how that's good because Jobs was jewish and we needed less jews in control. I don't even think he's jewish, but the poster was just incredibly bigoted - being jewish I've seen a fair share of hatred, but this was unreal.

Stuff like that.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

I remember that. I was surprised at how long it went on for.

Hmmmm.....I don't remember seeing you at our last world domination meeting.

16. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Just report those. The mods who are online keep an eye on the new reports anyway, and like Panda most of us use a tool that alerts us to new reports even when we're not viewing MR.

17. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

From what I've heard there seems to be more than enough mods.

18. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Response times seem to have improved since the new crew were signed up. To see a full list of mods and admins go here.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone didn't TIMG their IMG tag.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The T stands for tough ****. :D

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well, they just closed a thread that turned into a slap-fest within a few posts pretty darn quickly just a few minutes ago. My question is, who moderates the moderators? I can't believe some of the new guys got the job seeing their past and current posts are border-line rule breakers...

22. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about, but you can report a moderator's post if you'd like. It will be reviewed like any other post. The moderators bounce things off of each other when things are not clearcut. We also get input from the admins if need be.

The administrators have many responsibilities, one of them is to make sure the moderators are fair and consistent. You can use the contact us feature to send messages to the administrators.

23. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Dude I don't think you get it- he is asking you if YOU are behaving correctly (sorry you need an adverb).

24. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'll reiterate what grapes911 said. It is one of the jobs of the admins to review the moderators and moderators decisions. We moderate the forums and contribute to the policies and help the groups out as a whole but also act as a point of contact for the membership as well to bring up issues for review.

If you have more to say on the matter then please submit a contact us form or send me or another admin a PM because after all to work on feedback we need something a bit more specific.

25. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I personally think we have just enough.

I'd really like to know some of the demographics of the mods personally.

I've seen too much biased moderation on the PSRI forums.