Are There iPhone Viruses

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macher, Mar 3, 2017.

1. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Our son was looking at a site last night. It was one of those Chinese sites that sell knock off stuff. A page showed up saying it detected a virus and wanted you to click on a box. The page said it was a Google page.

Was wondering if it was a gimmick or not. Never heard of an iPhone virus.

Thanks!

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

The phrase nothing is perfect should answer your question

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

In a word: no.

Nothing is failsafe of course, but there hasn't been a virus on iOS that I know of, as it's quite locked down. What you experienced was just a popup.

4. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Yes, there can be iPhone viruses but they are not common and usually dealt with swiftly. However, with what you describe, I think what he saw was just a phishing scam attempting to get him to download a virus. In other words, it was located at the site, not on the phone itself.

5. macher thread starter macrumors 65816

macher

Thanks I told him NOT to click.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never heard of any.

In theory its possible, but in practice I think the risk is remote. This is one of the benefits of Apple's closed garden approach. Android seems to have a fair amount of malware in their app store but not so for iOS

7. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Well, it depends on what you call a virus. To me, a computer programmer, a virus is any code that purposely causes an unfavorable outcome. If you are on-board with that, then yes, there are websites that cause endless loops with the web browser, to where you have to clear your safari cache to get out of.

If you are talking about traditional viruses that take over your device, I believe there are, but by updating to the latest iOS version you minimize the risk to almost nothing.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that there are viruses, but they are well protected by governments (for example the San Bernardino cell phone) which may or may no require physically plugging into the phone. These wont become general knowledge, because much like jailbreaking, Apple will fix the exploit if they are made aware.

8. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Sounds like just a pop up.

9. macher thread starter macrumors 65816

macher

I remember a while back a co worker had a similar experience. Not sure if he clicked the link or not. What happens was whenever he tried to load a page on iPhone Safari the page wouldn't load and would be telling him page can't load or something. He would have to be keep rebooting then it would work for a while then start again. I told him to restore his phone and if I remember after restoring he never had the problem.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Install an ad blocker such as AdGuard. It was just a pop up.

Are you implying there are virus for iOS? If so, citation?

Citation?

11. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

13. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Even if you didn't remember this one, there obviously have been other issues. Apple does a good job of fixing exploits without telling us. There are no impenetrable systems, just some that are more difficult than others.

Access to the locked San Bernardino shooters phone was proof of this...

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes, certainly; I don't disagree. However, the question at hand was whether iPhones are susceptible to viruses in the traditional sense and vulnerable to acquiring them via web browsing in Safari.

The OP certainly has limited knowledge considering he/she wondering whether a pop up on a grey market Chinese website warning of a virus on an iPhone is legit. Therefore, warning of possible Xcode and million dollar government sanctioned hacks seems a bit gratuitous.

15. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

The bolded part, leads me to believe it is a general question, with a specific example provided.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It was just a pop up advertisement/redirect.
    Nothing is unhackable but Apple's iOS is very security tight and constantly gets updated to patch any new exploits that might be available.
    If you're on the latest ios you dont have much to worry about unless certain government hack groups have some unreleased vulnerabilities to try to get to your data. But those odds are high unless you're a very valuable target to be hacked into.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Sure, makes sense, but again, the likelihood of this user encountering one (and therefore needing to be concerned about it) is virtually null.

18. kdarling, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Anything is possible. After all, iOS is constantly being updated with security fixes... meaning security vulnerabilities were discovered.

And there have been some publicly known attacks, mostly for jailbroken phones, but not all: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Malware_for_iOS

Heck, most people have forgotten that the very first iPhone update ever, was rushed out because a security research group threatened to post details on a security hole if Apple didn't do an update by the end of that weekend.

However, the OP's situation was almost certainly just a popup meant to attack PCs, as others have said, but without effect on an iOS device. This is one of the reasons why I limit my wife to using her iPad for web surfing :)

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Some similar discussions that might be of some help:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...can-i-plug-my-phone-into-my-computer.1960611/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/could-my-iphone-be-infected.2031425/

20. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

I've had iPhones since day one and never had a virus. It's not impossible but it's extremely unlikely. You have to go to a Chinese knock off Page to get one. JK

21. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

These web popups are not viruses - they're just spammy popups that try to trick you into thinking something's wrong with your phone.

You really don't need to worry about malware and viruses with iPhone. iOS is not that secure, as evidenced by the long list of jailbreak exploits we've seen over the past decade, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything out there by a long shot.