Are there known issues with windows 8.1 on retina MacBook Pro 15?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by natm, Aug 13, 2014.

1. natm macrumors newbie

Hello.

I want to buy a new laptop. I have not decided yet if it will be a mac or PC. If I buy mac, it will be MacBook Pro retina 15.
    I plan to work with windows a lot. Maybe even making it primary operating system on the macbook.

1) are there any known issues preventing using windows for most of the time on a mac? Are there any annoying bugs with is? Like driver issues, resolution, etc.
    2) how does it feel having mac keyboard with windows OS?
    3) what is the boot time of windows 8.1 on a MacBook Pro retina, when it is the default OS on restart.
    4) is there any way to launch windows within Mac OS, instead if rebooting the device?

Thank you.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm running windows on my rMBP, though not 100% of the time.

I'd say there's no known bugs, but there may be some annoying driver issues.
    Use wifi, don't use the Thunderbolt/ethernet dongle. Win8 won't go into sleep because of the drivers.

I had an issue with wifi not working too well but that's been resolved with a new driver.

Overall its been pretty good, the keyboard is ok in windows, though if you have access to a PC keyboard that would work better imo, but the key maps logically so you should have too much problems.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I run 8.1 using Fusion, so it is a virtual machine on my 15" rMBP
    I have not experienced many issues other the annoyances of Windows itself :)

However, if you are running Windows as the primary OS and will be using it that much, I would suggest you get the Windows PC instead of the Mac

- cheaper options
    - touchscreen capabilities
    - drivers
    - keyboard compatibility

It all depends on your needs of course, but using Windows predominately would seem to make a Windows PC more sensible to me

If you use it primarily as a Windows machine, what will you use OS X for?

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Then you should buy a Windows notebook. While Windows is functional on a Mac, it's not an ideal setup.

5. natm thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to learn developing apps for ios.

I need windows because some hardware design tools i use (especially xilinx tools) working only on windows. I just read that there are many issues with it when running windows on mac.

I will probably buy windows laptop and mac mini. They both cost like MacBook Pro retina :)