Are there levels of TRIM support?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kushed, Mar 24, 2011.

1. kushed macrumors regular

I know i sound silly asking this question but i have been doing research on it and i cannot find a single thing. What im trying to find out is if there is different degrees of TRIM on solid state drives? Like do some delete data more completely than others? like do some delete 80% of the file and write over it while others completely erase the file? Do some just completely write over the file while others do not? Im sorry i just have a hard time figuring this out because if they are varying levels of how well some SSD clean themselves up im worried that maybe i shouldnt have gone apple SSD. but then again i mean they are the ones that developed the software for this exact drive so hopefully when i delete something is is 100% deleted. because at 128 gigs i need all the space that i can get! especially if in 5 years from now (yes i plan on keeping this 5 years) im scared my MPB will say 79 gigs free but i really have 12 gigs or something because i have deleted and re written so many times that its just permanently gone. does this make since to anyone or is this just an asinine post? im sorry im just a little worried! (first time dropping 2800 on a computer =\)

2. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

do controllers in third party SSD have better/worse/different TRIM configurations as well?

3. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

Is this that stupid of a question or do you all really just have no idea? im going with the second one.