Are there Linuxes for Macbooks?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by printz, Mar 8, 2013.

1. printz macrumors regular

Are there versions of whatever GNU/Linux systems that have been tweaked to work best on MacBook? By that I mean:
    - use Command key for most GUI commands
    - support smooth trackpad scrolling as opposed to regular mouse wheel stepwise kind. Support whatever trackpad gestures can be accessed (unless Apple made the trackpad interface proprietary as hell).

2. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

The best support you're going to get is from Ubuntu. No other distro is as well maintained, and certainly none are as popular.

3. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

What about fedora? You can't say that isn't well maintained.

4. Shelltoe macrumors member

Depends on your MacBook. As far as I know ArchLinux has the best support for Macbook Pro Retina including graphics switching. Ubuntu should have included most patches in their current release though.

5. stchman macrumors 6502a

I run Ubuntu 12.04 on my MBA using Virtualbox. Ubuntu runs very well under Virtualbox.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    There's also Linux Mint, which is built off the current Ubuntu releases. From what I understand, it's currently the most popular distro since Canonical went with the Unity UI.

7. printz thread starter macrumors regular

I'd guess that the Unity desktop environment would fit better with the Mac keyboard, seeing that the interface looks so much like Leopard.

8. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Linux Mint is the best out there now..go to Distrowatch.com and check them out..

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Agree with Linux Mint. Unity has pushed me far away from Ubuntu for now.

Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop is the one that I like best at the moment.