Are there long distance charges for data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Nov 24, 2010.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

So everyone who has an iPhone also has a data plan. What happens if you go on a road trip but can still connect to your carrier? Do you get charged long distance for using your data outside of your usual calling area? I'm expecting that data should not be charged anything extra while I'm on my carrier's network, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is standard practice to gouge smart phone users. Imagine paying $5 per megabyte while you are driving around with a GPS app.

2. The LPT macrumors regular

depends on your carrier. Here in Canada, on the Fido/Rogers network, data can be accessed anywhere in Canada, as long as you are not roaming on another network.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do you pay long distance for voice on your cell phone? I can't even imagine how they would implement this.

4. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

it feels like we are going backwards instead of forward. i was waiting for company to provide reasonable WORLD coverage but thats just a dream. i dont care about unlimited to anyone in the usa, let me talk to other countries for a nice flat rate and im fine.

they dont charge for data based on location but maybe they will find a way to. :D

5. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I do pay long distance for voice if I drive out of the city. I wish I could get unlimited data for a reasonable price (darn Apple and carrier kickbacks). What I'm thinking might happen is that I would be charged the overage rates for data if I go outside of the city, which is a highway robbery price.

6. kevink2 macrumors 65816

In the US if you use too much data while roaming ATT can drop you.

7. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

where do you live? you can turn off roaming for data btw. settings > general > network > data roaming.

also might want to try prepaid if its really that big of an issue.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's surprising.

Please tell us what plan you have. Then people can tell you more accurate info.

Usually the only problem you might have, is if you roamed too close to the border and accidentally connected to a foreign tower.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Ok wait. Do you mean data such as data from a website? How could they charge for that? The .com TLD can be from any country.

Or are you talking about like texts, etc?

10. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

I do have data roaming turned off because using another carrier's network would result in being royally screwed with a massive phone bill, even more so than being screwed by my regular carrier.

I'm in Canada and this Rogers local area calling guide basically shows how I'm charged for long distance when I drive out of the city:
    http://downloads.rogers.com/wireless/maps/Local_Calling_Area/en/ON/London.pdf

11. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Data for websites. I can be charged like $10 for a few kilobytes if roaming internationally. I have a data plan but it doesn't say if I will be charged for browsing a website if I'm in another city while still on my carrier's network. Guess I should probably give them a ring. Phone plans in Canada are much worse than anywhere else.

12. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

:D well im sry to hear that about rogers. there are good things about your plan and bad i suppose. again, no data isnt dependent upon location.

HOWEVER, texting a foreign number carries a different fee because it has to connect to someone elses towers, so im told. pulling up web pages and the like no additional charges, no matter where that gateway lies.

13. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Canada definitely needs more carrier competition. The big 3 telcos are basically colluding with each other. And you HAVE to go with one of the big 3 because they control the spectrum that the iPhone gsm radio can connect to. There are no prepaid plans for the iPhone. All the iPhone plans are basically the same across the big 3.

14. draz macrumors 6502a

In Canada, there are NO roaming charges for using data outside of your local calling area.
    So you can have a Vancouver phone# and be in Toronto and use data without any additional charges.
    You do pay long distance charges for voice calls. But for data there is no charge and it comes out of your data plan.

Browse the web just like you do at home, which I find pretty sweet and hope that this doesn't change.

Once you step outside Canada and your phone picks up another carrier then you pay the outrageous prices that is not covered under your plan.

15. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, yeah, I should add that all iPhones come with a 3 year contract instead of the standard 2 year in the US. All 3 of the big 3 telcos are in it together with the 3 year contract term. I call it price fixing.

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

it's a Canadian thing... the carriers here need to die.

you can't even call within the same province without getting billed long distance. it's ridiculous.

17. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

I like the plans that Wind Mobile and Mobilicity have to offer but their network doesn't support the iPhone at all. Rogers, Telus, and Bell Mobility must be split up since they are all acting in unison.