Are there MacBook Pro don't have the electrical tingling problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liushi, Oct 6, 2012.

1. liushi macrumors newbie

liushi

Hello everybody. I'm from China. I bought a 13 inch MBP the day before yesterday and experienced the electrical tingling. I saw tons of reports on this problem on the web. I want to know, are there machines that don't have this problem even when they are used with the 2-pin wire? Thanks.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's not Apple's fault, blame your Electricity provider.
    Where I am from there is no problem, they connect the common wire(220 Volt) to the grounding in your house so they are equalized.

I am in Asia right now, I have the same problem as you, the problem is the common wire is not 0 Volt, if you connect the Common wire to the ground the problem will disappear.

Also, your Laptop is made of a metal, which is conducting electricity.

3. liushi thread starter macrumors newbie

liushi

But it still touches like that when it's unplugged, at least for a while. I should bring it to Apple Store, as the Apple telephone service suggested. If the effect is unavoidable under certain conditions, the user experience will "more" affected by where the machine is used. That's not good.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Seems impossible to me after disconnecting from mains, the aluminium always feels a bit "rough", maybe you have sensitive hands.;)

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Both my MBP and MBA have this if naked..as does my ipad and the new phone. It's not a problem, just amild charge through the metal.

6. liushi thread starter macrumors newbie

liushi

If there's no machine that's free of this cool function, there's no point for me to have a replacement. I will go to the store next week to see if mine is a lemon.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That's the best you can do, I think all of them feel a bit rough when touching the metal, bit like fine sandpaper, that is normal.

8. liushi, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

liushi thread starter macrumors newbie

liushi

I'm almost “sure” there's current, though I haven't measure it. The feel disappears after a few seconds, due to that I got accustomed or the physics I'm not clear. After I put my hand away and touch the metal body again, the feel reappears. The touch is different when it is “quiescent”, which means been off for a while.

9. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Test this

You can do this test:

1. When the feel reappears, make sure you sit on a wooden chair. When it tingles, elevate your legs to loose contact with the floor. This Way you are Not grounded any more and no current can flow back through your legs to a false ground potential. - Tingling should stop.

10. liushi thread starter macrumors newbie

liushi

Thanks, Alex. I won't be able to test before Tuesday. I left it at home, where I'm away from now. My floor is wooden. Should that have the same effect as elevating my legs?

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes, it's the same effect, wood does not conduct electricity.

But, I am on the second floor right now, it's also wood and a carpet on it and I feel it although barely noticeable.
    Don't even think it is electricity, I think it's the aluminium and maybe vibrations from the HDD.

12. liushi, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

liushi thread starter macrumors newbie

liushi

It has only 5400-rpm HDD. My Thinkpad has two HDDs installed, but there's no noticeable vibration.

I love the OS X. I wish Macbook Pro had carbon-fiber body. I wish I could buy it and start to use it.

I asked my friend who has both Pro and Air. Both have this issue. He takes it as normal. But I found it annoying.

If I can't change the Mac, change myself?

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What about putting transparent stickers/protectors on it, you know like on an iPhone, plastic does not conduct electricity.

14. andrewmchugh macrumors newbie

If the charger is not earthed then it might do it, aleast thats what happend with my mbp13 i have not yet used my retina on the short none earthed plug.