Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Are there only two search engines? Some one said there is only two search engines and other search engines pull from them. They said Google and Bing are the main search engines and other search engines pull from them. They go on to say private search engines like Ecosia and DuckDuckGo pull from Bing and start page pulls from Google. I hear Brave search is the only one being built from the ground up but have very little pages index because it is way too early and the index is very little compared to Bing or Google

There also Yandex but that is Russian and have very little US index pages. There also Dogpile search engines that pulls from Google and Bing. And yahoo search that pulls from Bing.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
Brave and Kagi are the only non-Google/non-Bing search engines in the US I can think of, but other countries will have their own search engines which don't pull information from Google or Bing, such as Daum/Naver in Korea, Baidu and Sogou in China, Fireball in Germany, etc.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Brave and Kagi are the only non-Google/non-Bing search engines in the US I can think of, but other countries will have their own search engines which don't pull information from Google or Bing, such as Daum/Naver in Korea, Baidu and Sogou in China, Fireball in Germany, etc.
Kagi is a subscription-based search engine, requiring users to be logged in. Brave uses its own web index. Google and Bing are self-explanatory. It looks like there are only three left that are free to use. I remember in the 90's there were tons of search engines, AltaVista and Lycos were my favorites. I guess they didn't make it bast the Dotcom bubble.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I remember in the 90's there were tons of search engines, AltaVista and Lycos were my favorites. I guess they didn't make it bast the Dotcom bubble.
AltaVista became integrated as the Yahoo! search engine. Prior to the AltaVista integration, Yahoo! was more like a Yellow Pages style directory that you manually browsed through.

Reactions: Iwavvns

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
AltaVista became integrated as the Yahoo! search engine. Prior to the AltaVista integration, Yahoo! was more like a Yellow Pages style directory that you manually browsed through.

What happen to AltaVista? I thought AltaVista was search engine before Google and Bing got started. Did Google buy out AltaVista and own it now?

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
What happen to AltaVista? I thought AltaVista was search engine before Google and Bing got started. Did Google buy out AltaVista and own it now?
As 1madman1 noted (this is from Wikipedia):
AltaVista was a Web search engine established in 1995. It became one of the most-used early search engines, but lost ground to Google and was purchased by Yahoo! in 2003, which retained the brand, but based all AltaVista searches on its own search engine. On July 8, 2013, the service was shut down by Yahoo!, and since then the domain has redirected to Yahoo!'s own search site.

I'm actually surprised Yahoo! Search is still in operation.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
As 1madman1 noted (this is from Wikipedia):
AltaVista was a Web search engine established in 1995. It became one of the most-used early search engines, but lost ground to Google and was purchased by Yahoo! in 2003, which retained the brand, but based all AltaVista searches on its own search engine. On July 8, 2013, the service was shut down by Yahoo!, and since then the domain has redirected to Yahoo!'s own search site.

I'm actually surprised Yahoo! Search is still in operation.

I just did test of yahoo search and Bing search and it is the same it seems. I search for the same thing on yahoo search and than did search with Bing and got same thing. At leat what I search for it seems may be it may be different for others here.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
I just did test of yahoo search and Bing search and it is the same it seems. I search for the same thing on yahoo search and than did search with Bing and got same thing. At leat what I search for it seems may be it may be different for others here.
Yep, I just looked at Wikipedia and it says Yahoo! Search is powered by Bing. So your assumption is correct.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
It certainly feels that way - which further drives home how Gemini in Search is an existential crisis for the internet as we know it. Nilay Patel really digs into Sundar about it on his recent Decoder interview, definitely worth a listen.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I do not really know the why-to-where's of exactly what databases best serve our interests; but it is, sadly, on us--as users--to spend an increasingly inordinate amount of time deep-diving through the separation of the wheat from the chaff in our research.

In the past, I was (naively) appreciative of succinct and specific results.

Today, I spend more hours wading-through results than I actually do gaining the knowledge I need to accomplish my task.

Understanding has become sublimated in a very Herculean task 🤷‍♂️

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
You may want to see Adam Conover about why search engines suck and new ones fail:

How Google RUINED the Internet​

popup

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
A few days ago I was searching for something and Duckduckgo said it was impossible to show the results. Then I used Qwant and it said the same. Then I used Startpage and it worked. Google worked too. Then I realized that DDG and Qwant are Bing based. At the next day I read that Bing was down affecting other things too.
I use DDG for searching in Firefox with the ublockorigin extension. For me the results are way better than Google. Now I find Google useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.