Are There Risks when you turn off sleep mode on imac? Needed for Printopia.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jaybar, Aug 12, 2011.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

In order to print remotely via Printopia, my iMac needs to be on. Apparently this means not in sleep mode. Is there any risk?

Thanks

Jay

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I leave my iMac on all night for video encoding, and have rarely slept the machine since purchase. I even turned off the option to sleep my hard drives.

You will be fine. If the iMac can't stand being on constantly then that is grounds for a replacement or refund.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

It's gonna use some power too. Are you really printing from mobile devices 24/7? Energy Saver pref pane has a setting to schedule waking and sleeping, and you could use something like Alarm Clock Pro to schedule with more detail.

Rob

4. shawnomega macrumors newbie

Only thing that may be an issue is it might cut the life of the screen. Course that would have to continue for some time. But that would be the biggest thing.

5. lamboman macrumors 6502

To be honest, no risk. The longetivity of your iMac will probably be far above the useful life of it.

Turn off screensavers, set your display to turn off after a set period of time, and leave it, and you won't have any problems.

6. leman macrumors 604

You can just turn off the screen by pressing Shift-Ctrl-Eject (if it doesn't work then I messed up and you should google it). As the screen draws the major portion of the idle power, you can also save soem money this way.