Are there rumors of a new ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by retroart, Jul 14, 2008.

1. retroart macrumors newbie

Hey i'm new on here and this is my first post but i've been wondering for a while now if the ipod touch is going to drop in price because it is now more than the iPhone 3G which dosen't make since because there is no phone feature, or is there going to be a new touch come out? I'm trying to decide between a the two, but i want a 32 GB touch but if a new model comes out and the 32 GB drops in price i want to wait. Any ideas?

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Apple usually updates its entire iPod line in the fall. I expect we'll see the same thing this year.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

4. retroart thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet! I didn't know it was in the fall, thats cool.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yep, just in time for Christmas!

6. illian macrumors regular

the new iphone is not cheaper!
    well and i don't know why there should be a redesign..there hasn't been a real redesign with the new iphone..besides what is there to add to the touch? ;)

7. ricartedor macrumors member

I hope they get rid of the chrome back! that's my no1 request, i'd like an aluminium touch, perhaps they could have colours, if that were the case, we may see the iPod nano phased out in favour of the touch, or maybe a smaller, slimmer, coloured version of the touch to become to new nano - that would be ace, but then again probably unlikely seeing as the touch is called the touch, and the nano would not imply touchscreen as much as touch does.. (duh!)

Wow, i managed to come up with and degrade my own wish in one post!

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Yea, you will see something this fall so Black Friday can really be crazy.

9. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Yep, and I am waiting till' september for my new iPod touch...

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

here's a rumor for you...

Today I was on the Kmart.com site, looking through their MP3 players. The had the Touch 8,16, and 32gb listed, but that also had another listing for a "32gb iPod Touch Black" that you could sign up for an email notice for, as it wasn't available yet.

To me this strongly suggests there will be a new Touch with the same black back the Phone got. Yes, the front of current Touches is black, but they don't even call out a color when describing them anywhere else.

A good reason to do this would be if they were going to add another radio, perhaps bluetooth, as the plastic back on the iPhone is to improve radio (3g/wifi/bluetooth/gps) reception.

11. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Screenshot/link?????

12. dino0829 macrumors member

13. superman193 macrumors regular

What would they change? its design is perfect.

14. deputylove8 macrumors regular

deputylove8

The Ipod touch is still kinda new...maybe a price revision but not a total makeover:p

15. pisces03x macrumors regular

Considering the features of iPhone 2.0 and how the iPod touch runs a variation of it, I'm assuming that the next generation iPod touch will feature (at least) GPS. It also *might* see a camera, which would enable geotagging.

Note that these are just assumptions based on what new features the iPhone 3G received. I figure Apple as the sort of company that likes to keep similar products' features closely integrated.

16. atad6 macrumors regular

even though a 160gb hard drive based touch would be cool, there's no way the touch will be anything but flash based because of the accelerometer.

17. Tragedies macrumors 6502

They wont change much. They want to keep it like the iPhone, except without the phone, heh.

They could well change the back, and maybe add a higher capacity and remove the 8GB but not much to add.

18. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

The iPhone 3G is not cheaper than the iPod Touch. A lot of people really aren't thinking this through:

iPod Touch 32Gb = $499 purchase price

iPhone 3G 16Gb = $299 purchase price + $~70/mo * 24 month contract = $1979

19. pisces03x macrumors regular

Heh, but I still think $400 for a mid-end iPod touch is way too expensive. I can pretty much guarantee you that the iPod touch will go down in price come September.

I doubt it'll receive a plastic back (or whatever the iPhone 3G has). I mean, Steve Jobs marketed it as an 'iPod,' and all iPods have the signature (horrible) all-metal back. I base this on the same reason that the iPod touch didn't get the iPhone's 5 internet applications at launch.

20. niblum10 macrumors member

noticed today that apple has reduced the price of their refurbished ipod touches -> $199 for 8GB and $299 for 16GB. the 32Gb is at $429 as well. they may be trying to get rid of even more along with the college deal to make way for a model.

21. retroart thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Were the heck do you folks find all this info?