Are there still image retention and other retina problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danielwerner, Mar 25, 2015.

1. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

When I bought my mid 2012 rMBP 15" there was big talk about which screen panel you got. LG had big problems with image retention (temporary burn-ins) and yellow tinting etc, Samsung had no such issues.

I haven't heard anything for a while and I'm thinking of buying a new 15" when the next one is released (2015 right? Are we talking summer or fall?).

Are there still problems with this? What are your experiences?

Article about the issues: http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/20/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-problems-in-every-dimension/

2. JoeLr macrumors newbie

I has image retention issues on my 2012 rMBP 15" w/ 650M dGPU (Samsung panel). Couple weeks ago it crashed to the floor, damaging the screen, "t" key (no longer accepts input) & weird issues at boot-up (won't go beyond blank, black screen unless I also hold down <option> key). Anywho, I ordered a 2014 15" rMBP (base model; no dGPU). :knocksonwood: but thus far, zero image retention. Sadly, since my new machine doesn't have a dGPU, I can't discern which display panel I have.

3. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Really, you can't tell what screen you have unless have dedicated graphics, I could have swore on my 2013 13" retina I was able to find out I had an lg screen...However I may be mistaking that for finding out what type of ssd i had.

4. steveyo macrumors regular

IPS seems to bleed bit more than TN panels...

mid 2014 here and I can see some unevenness left and right but only when pitch black so who cares

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

my refurbished rMBP 13" doesn't have IR.

I wondered if this is still a problem too with 2014/2015 models.

Threads seemed to have fizzled on it

6. danielwerner thread starter macrumors regular

danielwerner

So it doesn't seem to be that much of an issue any more, am I right?

Back in 2012 there was an Apple forums thread with, I think, 500 pages.

7. JoeLr macrumors newbie

You're right...even w/out a dGPU we can tell what panel we have. I was thinking back to 2012 when we had that terminal command that only worked on machines w/ dGPU. on my 2014 rMBP I checked under System Pref>Displays>Color tab>"mmod" line, and I have a 0000A019 model, which I believe is LG.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can tell

But it makes no difference they both showed the various issues and and problems accross the board. T

hey seem a lot better for image retention now but remember every panel is different within tolerances and many could do with a bit of calibration for personal tastes.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Are there still image retention and other retina problems?

Yes. Even my Retina iMac has developed some image retention. Of course this isn't purely a Retina problem, other panels get it as well.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My late-2013 13" rMBP has never had any of those problems that I've noticed. But I don't obsess over them :rolleyes:

11. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

To my - perhaps faulty - memory, the LG panels had the retention, whereas the Samsung panels had the yellow tinge.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They both had retention

and colour issues, and some still do, although the colour can be mitigated with calibration on some of them. You are right in that thye retention was more prevelant on teh LG and yellow tinge more on the samsung. But these forums showed both issues on both panels.

13. baris3 macrumors member

hi,

i returned two first generation retina macbooks in 2012 cause they both had that defective LG panel. i did not even think about panel replacement because on that thread you mentioned, they were saying samsung panels are defective for their yellow-tint. and then i waited for newer generations, but i could not afford money for high-spec ones, and since base-model ones had no discrete GPU, i decided waiting but it's not getting better. i would buy one if only there would be a new retina macbook base-model with discrete gpu, which is not likely going to happen because of apple's latest marketing attitude..

14. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've spent a lot of hours on two different LG screened rMBP, one built in 2013 that just had its two year birthday, the other built about a year ago. Not one issue, lovely screens. I think the probability of getting a faulty screen went down dramatically for units built since Jan 2013. If you get IR, there is a warranty and also applecare.

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Out of the millions sold

Not many had these problems....

If apple don't sell what you what for what you want to pay buy something else there are many suitable laptops out there.