Are there unlocked iPhone 3Gs in the world?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ying yang, Sep 10, 2008.

1. ying yang macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting a 16gb 3g on eBay but before I do I just want to make sure that there actually are unlocked ones. There are a lot of sellers claiming to have unlocked ones but is it actually posible that it's true?

Also, if so, does anyone know of a good place besides eBay were I can buy one?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you'd search, you'd see that they SELL them unlocked in Belgium, among other places.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

For those that were carrier-locked, there are only SIM-unlocked 3Gs. There is no software unlock yet. Some people have reported success with the SIM unlock, but others have had problems. But there are countries where they are sold unlocked. France and India are two.

There are a ton of threads on this issue.

4. ivan123 macrumors member

ivan123

New Zealand and Australia. The NZ one is 1129 NZD ~ 760 USD 16GB

5. ying yang thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about not searching. I'm typing this on an iPhone, underground, so I took the shortest route to finding out while I had a signal.

Thanks for the help.

6. wowotoe macrumors member

Yes. and you can buy iPhone 3G without contract too. but what's the point of getting a 3G phone without 3G services?

Apparently the easiest way to unlock iPhone 3G is using SIM adapter (they sell these like $10 on ebay)

You can find the step-by-step here:

http://www.eprice.com.tw/mobile/news/?news_id=7817

7. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

The official carriers aren't the only one you have 3G services. Here in Germany you can buy iPhone 3Gs on eBay that weren't locked in the factory. And they work fine with the 3G services of O2 Germany, Vodafone and E-Plus.

8. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

It's surprising to me that no-one has mentioned Hong Kong or Italy yet, where unlocked iPhones are officially sold.

9. stiphone macrumors regular

i've heard that using sim-unlock might have some problems with 3G. This is based on some of the research i've done online. I'm heading over to Singapore at the end of the year and was looking for an option to unlock my iphone. Would be cheaper to get a 3G sim card from the local carrier. Let's hope that they come out with a software unlock by then.

10. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

why would you have problems with 3g ? in america you might because they are just discovering this technology :) but anywhere else... at least in all the countries the phone is officially sold you shouldn´t have a problem... and for example here in germany im on tmobile wich is the official carrier but i have a way better deal using my 2g with another contract than the official one