Are there widespread iBook G4 failures?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by socamx, Apr 13, 2007.

1. socamx macrumors 6502

Okay, I'm getting fed up now. My iBook G4 (1 Ghz - October 2003 14 Inch), has yet again, crapped out on me.
    The thing freezes completely, no panic message, nothing written to the logs... just a total screen freeze.
    This is the 4th logic board this thing is on, the original logic board I broke myself and replaced, the last three all suffered from this freezing issue and have been fixed except this current one.

Now, this last logic board replacement, the 4th, I had done just a week and half ago by DT&T, and just 30 minutes ago, freezing problems ahoy. The first three were done by Apple, but this one was finally out of warranty.
    So I did some googling and found this petition to Apple about this "widespread" problem.

I want to know, is this really a widespread issue like the iBook G3's?
    Does anyone else have any horror stories or anything to shed some more light into this issue?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Even if there is, if they are out of warranty you are SOL.

3. socamx thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not the point, I'm not complaining this is out of warranty. I had no problem paying to get it fixed yet again.
    I just want to know if this is a widespread issue (like the iBook G3's before this one) or not because that petition sure makes it sound like it.

If this really is as big as a problem as the iBook G3's were then Apple should fix their design flaw like they did with the G3's because I don't have the money to buy a new laptop nor the money to continually get this thing fixed (I'm sure this could go for other people too).

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Rule #1 of online petitions: Every petition that seeks to compel a manufacturer to fix a defect will always characterize it as "widespread." They have to to justify the petition's existence. It doesn't matter if the issue really is widespread or not.

Rule #2 of online petitions: They never work.

What DOES work is leaning on Apple tech support as much as possible, complaining about the issue and seeing what they will do for you. In many cases (at least outside of the world of Apple), a warranty "repair" that continually breaks is not considered a true "repair," and depending on how far you're willing to take this matter, you could argue the point that Apple has an obligation to ensure the original warranty repair was a permanent fix... even if it takes them until after the warranty has expired to ensure that. the issue here isn't about whether thousands or even hundreds of thousands of other people are having the same problem. The pertinent issue is whether Apple is willing to make things right with you.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how old your G4 iBook is. If it's quite old (say past three years), then the argument could be made that its reasonable useful life has passed. In fact, Apple has made that point quite often with older hardware.

5. socamx thread starter macrumors 6502

What I'm curious to know about this point is how long after the last iBook G3's were continued did Apple start that repair program?
    Didn't Apple continued it for quite some time after the program started.
    From what I remember there were constant failures after the 1 year warranty was up.

Either way I am just wondering if there are "stories" out there like mine or if I'm just getting the shaft multiple times out of bad luck.

6. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

no. there is no widespread problem. ibg4's are no more vulnerable to defects than most other mac's, but my advice would be to call up Apple and SHOUT VERY LOUDLY. it's incredibly mean to the person on the other end of the line, but you may actually have a good shot of getting the repair done free. Make sure that they understand that you've had 4 logic boards in this machine.