Are these 2 WD drives the same?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MM07, Mar 31, 2008.

1. MM07 macrumors 6502a

2. DJJONES macrumors 6502

get the external u can probably upgrade it to a larger drive later and then use the one inside the external for ur mb! is that what you doing???

3. MM07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I am trying to get a bigger HD in my MacBook. I am just wondering if it is better to get an internal HD or the external drive and take it out and replace it with the 160 gb in my MacBook now. Then I can use the external.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Difference being once you remove it from the external case you have no warranty anymore.

Get the 320 GB 2.5 internal drive, and an empty 2.5" SATA/USB or SATA/FW enclosure like a MacAlly to put your existing drive into

5. MM07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point.

Can you recommend a good, inexpensive enclosure from newegg? :D

Thanks.

6. hewcardpacklet macrumors member

I am pretty sure the external one has less MB of cache... when checking the specs on the web site, they list the internal as having 8MB of cache, and they do not list that spec on the external... Since the external is for backup purposes and transfers to USB, cache is not important. However, if you put that drive internally, it might be slower than the other one, because of the lack of cache memory.

7. MM07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up ordering the internal and an enclosure.

It should be here in a few days.

8. DJJONES macrumors 6502

good choice and the other members deff answered some questions i didt have answers too. u learn something new everyday. didnt kno external drives had slower caches then internal drives

9. MM07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm glad I made the right choice, too. I also got an enclosure for my current 160gb and XP. I will have a fun weekend getting this done. :cool: