Are these any good

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Play4keeps, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Play4keeps macrumors regular

2. Play4keeps thread starter macrumors regular

3. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

I have seen one person on the forums say they have one, not a 1TB one but a GP. Do a search if you want. I have found they seem to be slower then the standard drive and they dont actually go from 5400 to 7200 but have a set speed. I have found they are said to be sub6000 rpm. I dont own one just found this stuff on the internet.

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

5. Play4keeps thread starter macrumors regular

Seagate is not playin fair as of late aka bad firmwares since 7200.9 to thier
    much newer 7200.11 So its kinda a dice roll with seagate now you might get a good one then agin mabey not:confused:

6. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I haven't shopped for HDD's in a while, but I haven't seen a drive advertised as 5400 to 7200 rpm. That struck me as odd.

7. Canoehead2 macrumors newbie

I have two of those - one in an external ESATA enclosure and one in a Tivo. The one in the enclosure is great - seems fast enough and keeps quite cool. The one in the Tivo may be having issues - I am planning on swapping it out and they doing a thorough check using the WD diagnostic tools. I think it just may not be suited for use in the Tivo, where it has to work 24/7. On the other hand, a friend has 5 of them in a Thecus NAS box and loves em.

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I have one of the 1TB GP drives. It is perfect for mass storage for movies, itunes, and backup. It's performance is very good considering it doesn't spin at 7200rpm.

If you need a speed demon, move along. If you are looking for a good, cool, quiet, and very large drive, then this is it.

9. GotPro macrumors 6502

Well, I have to disagree completely.

I've read reviews (just google the 1TB model number from WD and the word reviews and see what turns up) showing that the new WD GP 1TB drive is... in a word... pathetically slow... as in a great drive if you want a quiet drive to hold a ton of data in, say, an HTPC...

But in a MAC PRO?

Not so much...

I auditioned a Raptor 150GB for my boot drive... and after playing with some things... found a 10% off external drives coupon online for Best Buy and they have the 1TB Hitachi External (which houses a 1TB 7K1000 SATA drive inside) and I was able to pick that up for $275 after coupon. I removed the drive from the housing, and it is now my boot drive.

EVEN WITH THE CASE DOOR OFF, I CAN NOT HEAR THE DRIVE... and it is BLAZINGLY FAST... moreso, I'd say, than even the Raptor...

At least that's what my butt-o-meter says to me :)

So... hope that helps!

-Richard

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Thought this hadn't affected the 1TB model.

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

How's the view on that high horse?

I was not recommending this drive as a boot drive. I was recommending it as a cool/quiet storage drive. Not every drive you put in a MP has to be blazing fast. Sometimes you just want a large drive that is moderately fast. The GP drive is faster than the stock MP drive. I've got 2 Samsung F1s in my MP besides the Western Digital. My speed need is covered by those.

12. GotPro macrumors 6502

Dude! The view is great :)

Relax! I wasn't dissing you for your choice... I'll probably replace my stock 320 that I'm using as a media drive with the same WD... Best Buy has it for $220!!!! I was only pointing out that I wouldn't use it as a boot drive, thats all ;-)

R.

13. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

lol dont worry about it.

Yeah, I picked mine up for $190 (after mail-in rebate) from buy.com... it came in an external so I've got a USB 2.0 case to put the stock 320gb in to use for Time Machine.

14. GotPro macrumors 6502

Sweet! $190! Even better! ;-)

Happy Mac 'ing !!! :cool: