Are these Apples bad deals?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 16, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I have decided to post this on the PowerPC section just because it's way more active and there are plenty of collectors. (the Apple Collector area is sleepy)

Okay, so I saw these two Apples on CL and they look nice, especially since they are in good condition and come with extras. NOW, these prices did seem sort of high to me, but what do you all think? I need to make this decision quickly because I won't have contact with this area for much longer, as this is out of town.

Thanks.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Could you post links?

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

WTF, I thought I did. I guess I was in a huge rush... Sorry : /

----------

Sorry, was in a big rush and forgot... how stupid of me.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/sys/4716506836.html

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/sys/4687514464.html

----------

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/sys/4716506836.html

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/sys/4687514464.html

4. Intell, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm going to say yes, they are over priced. You may get better answers if you ask in the Apple Collector subforum. They specialize in 68K and pre-68K Apple machines.

5. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

While I do think that is a little steep, a pre-PPC Apple enthusiast or expert can give you a more accurate appraisal.

7. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

8. RedCroissant Suspended

Nope! If I had the money, I would buy them both! Look at all of the stuff that you get with the 2nd one as well. Plus, the first ad is expecting that their price is too high. It looks to me like you could offer $275 for that one and get it, and then just offer $350 for the second awesome lot.

Personally, I would love either of those.

Also, if they're not technically worth that price now, then they might be at some point and then you'll still be happy that you got it.

9. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, I looked on eBay and saw that these are kinda pricey. I mean, I already was sure that a IIe wasn't gonna be worth anywhere near that.

10. goMac macrumors 603

It's slightly high, but the condition and the extras are both pretty nice. So it's a little steep but not entirely outrageous. Especially if you are collector. If you are just buying a machine to play with... probably not worth it.

11. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

FWIW, I purchased an Apple IIc complete with Apple carry case, monitor, Scribe printer, and lot of software including the disks that came with the IIc itself. The entire lot cost me just $75. I purchased a Disk IIc drive on eBay to complete the setup.

12. RedCroissant Suspended

Well all right then. So given the price thou paid, then the CL ad seems pretty high. However, how much did you pay for the disk drive? What condition was everything in?

I just think it would be fun to have all of hat stuff on hand somewhere.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Good old RedCroissant has risen from the dead! Sent from the iBook G3 :D

14. RedCroissant Suspended

Hey Man!

Yeah, it's ben quite a while and pretty difficult lately. And this is actually from my 2014 iMac that I bought for my design work! Woohoo!

We'll see how long I can hold onto it though. It's starting to look like I'll have to make a trip back to PPC land for a PM G5 if things keep going the way that they are now.

15. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Dang, I was out and missed the bid on an eBay listing for a pretty clean one. Sure, it was all by itself, but it was $102 total. I guess I don't care too much for this Mac, but it is a cool one at that... the prices will only get higher.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A 2014 iMac. Wow! Quite the machine.

17. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

I paid $25 for the Disk IIc. I could find no other Disk IIc drives for sale, so I figured $25 to be a fair price. The drive itself was a little dirty on the outside, but it didn't take a lot of effort to clean it up. I was able to connect it to the IIc computer and verify that it worked. As for the IIc and matching monochrome monitor, they were both in near mint condition. I did have to replace the internal power supply, but luckily I knew a guy in one of my college classes who had a complete IIc that he was getting ready to butcher. So, in return for claiming his power supply, I Retrobrighted his IIc case. Pretty fair price, I'd say, to restore an Apple IIc to working order. All of the original floppies (the software that came with the computer when purchased) were readable. There was some extra software that was not.

So, is a complete, working Apple IIc worth $400? I suppose it could be to the right person. I was simply throwing my experience out there to give a general idea of what these CAN be purchased for. $400 may be a fair retail price, but if it's one guy selling to another, I would pay no more than half that.

18. RedCroissant Suspended

Ok, well that's awesome. I've been going through a retro computing phase right now and having some trouble locating just some of the peripherals that I want. So the fact that you got something like that for the price you did is amazing.

19. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

I've been pretty lucky to have come across some of the deals I've gotten on vintage Apple computers. I've also tried to remain patient and buy only when I come across a good deal. So maybe it isn't so much luck as it is strategy. There are other computers I would love to have in my collection, but I can't justify paying higher prices. For example, I won a working G4 Cube on eBay for $50 + $22 shipping. I've been wanting to purchase a Cube for well over a year, but I couldn't justify paying $200+ for one. If you're going through a retro computing phase, I have an Apple IIGS that could use a good home. :)

20. RedCroissant Suspended

I just wish that I could actually afford some of the stuff (or any of the stuff) that I see for sale. I bought my 27" iMac for design purposes and for design work. I thought the future pay would justify the expense (and it would have). It turns out though that there isn't enough design work available to justify hiring such a junior person so now I have a REALY expensive iMac. I do love it, but if I had any idea that there wouldn't be enough work for me, then I would have stuck with my PPC Macs.

And I would love it! The only problem is that I am again on a zero budget and anything that I get has to be free or unbelievably cheap.