Are these cables safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goft20, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

There is no way of knowing if they are good as he has no feedback from buyers who bought them.

I would not buy them.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Is the idea of this cable that the little nub stays in your phone at all times? No idea if this is safe but I would lose pieces of that within hours lol. Neat concept though.

3. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

4. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Yeah like the guy two posts up said, that's a really cool concept, sort of like the Apple Watch charger.

I can't imagine why it *would* be unsafe...the magnets wouldn't cause an issue I don't think, but like others have said:

Zero feedback + not Apple certified = "I'll pass, thanks"

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have no idea about those specific cables... the glaring issue, IMO, is the lack of MFi certification. Of course, Apple will probably never certify a cable of this type... again just my opinion.

For my money, it doesn't necessarily need to be a cable from Apple, but it must be MFi certified, at a minimum for me to consider it.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I have had MFi cables throw me the "this cable is not supported" error before. In fact, my wife just got that on her apple watch (the only cable she has came with her brand new watch straight from Apple). Just food for thought on this. There is obviously a risk. But the lack of certification doesn't automatically mean it is unsafe or bad.

8. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I would never try them. The risk to such an expensive device for a little convenience seems too high, especially since the cables are shipped directly from China. (But, then so are Apple devices. ;))

I rarely use Apple cables because they're so short. But, the iXCC & Anker brand cables I've purchased are MFi certified and had many positive reviews before I purchased them.