Are these cracking sounds normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RDAR, Oct 24, 2012.

1. RDAR macrumors 6502

Underneath the MacBook Pro sign, the black hinge, it is make noises when I press on it. If I am closing or opening it or even putting the lid up and down it doesnt make these noises. Only when I press on it. Does anyone else's macbook do this?

I have a video on youtube that shows what I'm talking about, the cracking sounds are near the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfTBOPp0im4&feature=plcp

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

3. markus843 macrumors regular

Went to a geek squad type of thing in a best buy, I don't have applecare or anything just the 1 year warranty that comes with the mac when purchased. I have the same problem and the guy said that it's best to send it in as soon as possible, because it will just get worse eventually and break.
    Atleast that was what he said...

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, that is pretty normal. My MacBook Pro's hinge was fine when I first got it, but after several months I started to get that creaking/cracking thing. However a couple of years down the track it has gone again... Who knows, maybe it's a temperature thing or something?

----------

I didn't take mine back, and it didn't get worse or break. In fact it got better after a while :)

5. MMcCraryNJ macrumors 6502

Geek Squad is wrong most of the time. I wouldn't trust those guys with any relatively expensive piece of electronics equipment.

6. RDAR thread starter macrumors 6502