Are these Craigslist MBP sales legitimate?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SuperSnake2012, Dec 19, 2008.

1. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I've seen a lot of people selling new, sealed in box unibody MBPs for way under retail. I've seen a few go from $1500-$1650 and there are pictures of these sealed computers. Has someone bought one from craigslist? It's very tempting because I'd be saving over $500 dollars... I'm concerned about a potential scam. It's interesting because there are many people on eBay selling them for not much more money either. I'd personally prefer this as I wouldn't have to wait for shipping and I can make sure the computer is functional on the spot...

I'm looking at the New York City craigslist sales too:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=macbook+pro+unibody&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

2. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Usually not. I wouldn't trust it, they are everywhere. Just like a Macbook Air for 120.02.

Kinda sketchy.

3. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the thing is with craigslist, I am meeting the seller in person and can make sure the computer works before I buy, and that everything is in the box. The sellers also say that Applecare can be registered to them too, so I don't believe they're stolen.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I doubt it. You'll receive an e-mail saying I'm out of town on business but I'll gladly go through the exchange using Western Union...