Are these good Mavericks Cleaners?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2012Tony2012, Mar 20, 2014.

1. 2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Magican , any good to clean Mac of all logs, internet traces etc?

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40534/magican

I used to use Onyx, but it's too tiring as I need to click every tab individually to clean, which is so exhausting to do everytime. Wish Onyx had a ONE CLICK TO CLEAN button :(

2. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

You could use "automation" tab?

Attached Files:

3. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

what bdmstudios said!

i've used onyx since...forever, and never any issues. i LIKE it for what it can do.
    but automation...set that up once, and you're good to go. simple...

4. janitor3 macrumors regular

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Onyx is lovely.

My one thing to be aware of with the automated process is that by default it trashes your web browser history, which (personally) is something I'd rather take care of myself.

6. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

I never had any problems (or noticed any benefit) with CCleaner.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not use any of them for years, including Onyx and my Macs have been running fine. I think out of all the utilities Onyx is probably the best of them, but I still believe most of what it does is unnecessary

8. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

I've been using Cocktail for years: gets the job done, and mostly automated.

9. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

So using (GUI) Terminal (shell) commands alike: know what you're doing and use with GREAT caution! And.... never forget your back-up routine!!!

GL & Cheers

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As others have said, these maintenance utilities are unnecessary. Onyx puts a GUI on UNIX tasks that your OS runs automatically. It is free. Therefore, there no harm is done.

When it was introduced, Cocktail was freeware. Its developers, however, soon converted Cocktail to shareware. Like Onyx, Cocktail puts a GUI on UNIX tasks. The only advantage to Cocktail is that it lightens your wallet so that you don't get as tired while carrying it.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

The only time I ever had problems with OS X was when I ran the "cleaners". Now that I trust the Apple engineers to actually know more about how it works than I do... I have had no real issues with the OS. My advice is to leave OS X alone... it really does know what it is doing....

12. 2012Tony2012, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

2012Tony2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

I never said I had any problems with Onyx, but it's time consuming and tedious to have to manually click so many buttons to clean up everything from logs to internet etc.

a ONE CLEAN BUTTON for all would be good. So just press ONE BUTTON and it cleans up EVERYTHING!

----------

I am not asking so my Mac "runs fine", I am asking best and easiest way to completely clean up all logs, internet activities etc.

----------

No good as it doesn't allow me to choose everything for example in "Cleaning/Internet" except for form values for example.

----------

I wish Onyx had a ONE BUTTON to press to clean EVERYTHING in the "CLEANING" tab (with ability to deselect whatever you want as well), saving me time having to press each one individually all the time which is a tedious boring task:(

13. ravinder08 macrumors regular

Like others have said forget Onxy or other cleaning tool, they are a waste of money and time as you discovered already. TO clean up internet stuff just go to safari in menu bar and reset safari once in a while and let the OS take care of everything else with it's built in maintenance scripts that run daily.

14. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Sorry to hear that you're not happy with this (free) as-is program. Perhaps there is another app available for your needs and likings? I can't offer you an alternative for OnyX.

GL & Cheers

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.
    These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.
    Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

16. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Yasu (Yet another system utility)

Came across this app. Perhaps this is what you want/need?

[​IMG]

YASU

GL & Cheers