Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Well, let's see here. "Hoss" originated, I believe, from the 60s tv series Gunsmoke. Here's his picture:

Hoss%201.jpg

FALSE! He's actually from Bonanza. I can think of very few higher compliments than to call someone Hoss. However, if you called them a hoss (notice the addition of the indefinite article and the lowercase "h") then that might be a derogatory use of the word.

FALSE! He's actually from Bonanza. I can think of very few higher compliments than to call someone Hoss. However, if you called them a hoss (notice the addition of the indefinite article and the lowercase "h") then that might be a derogatory use of the word.
Whoops, yeah, you're right. I should know that, since I know Lorne Greene was also on that show. My bad.

No, you're thinking of an "oss".

Open Source Software? Well, then, that's quite the compliment, I should think! ;)

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Had someone (in the Army) call me a "Pilgrim". Supposedly slang for a "white guy". I didn't get the insult at the time. All I said was, "What? I'm not a Pilgrim. My ancestors didn't come over on the Mayflower? What are you talking about?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.