Are these likely to be in the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 406312, Feb 6, 2010.

1. 406312 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!

I just joined, and I've been eyeing for a new laptop and thought a MBP's build quality would suit my interests.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew how likely the following things would be put in the new MBP:

HDMI/HDMI-like video/audio output (Not like the video-only mini-DP)
    Bluray Drive
    i5/i7 in the 13" version
    USB 3.0

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Almost zero. Search through the existing threads and these things are all brought up and summarily shot down.

3. 406312 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please specify which would and which wouldn't. I thought i5's were for sure...

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Bluray, at the very least, is highly unlikely. Steve Jobs is still not satisfied with the state of Bluray licensing and software. As for display output...the next revisions will likely continue to use mDP. Processor and interface upgrades are purely speculative until we see the new products.

6. Picho macrumors member

This one's easy:

HDMI/HDMI-like video/audio output (Not like the video-only mini-DP)
    NO! (I'm 100% sure about this). Apple loves Mini DisplayPort and there is not enough space on the MoBo for such connector.

Bluray Drive
    NO! Again, 100% sure
    . See Steve recent comments. Apple won't adopt Blu-Ray until it's mainstream and there's currently no software available to play back Blu-Ray movies on a Mac, as it requires some deep level coding into Mac OS X to support the protection scheme of BD that Apple needs to do and hasn't gotten around to do. It's not easy to do or in S. Jobs words : "It's a bag of hurt". Also, Apple needs to $$$$ the BD alliance for each and every copy of BD that's installed on a Mac. Not happening anytime soon.

i5/i7 in the 13" version
    YES and NO. Yes for the Core i5, forget about the i7 on the 13", there's not enough space on it and thermal problems would be abundant.

USB 3.0
    Nope. Sorry to rain on your parade on this, but expect USB 3 until fall 2010 at the earliest.

7. Blue Jobs macrumors newbie

Hello

Im new to this forum. A week ago i nearly purchase a macbook pro 13" in some retailer, but the time i went to the shop its out of stock.........i went home and surf the net it happens i drop by to this site....OMG then i knew there will be a refresh in MBP lines sooner.....
    I thank you all for the posts you made.....else wasted my money for buying the old tech.......i will wait, but not until end of March......hope they will release next week

8. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Lol WOW MAN... Since your a newbie will let this slide.... but your POST is actually considered "THREAD HI-JACKING" which is BAD FORUM ETIQUETTE ..... just start a new thread... welcome to MR BTW

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hate to break it to you iDisk, despite what it says next to your username, you're a newbie too.

10. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

I am thrilled to see we have a new member who not only doesn't know how to read, but also doesn't know what the search function is. Awesome.:cool:

11. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Very good point, sir!

Welcome to the forums, all three of you.

12. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Theoretically you could stick a blu-ray slot loading drive in your Macbook if you were A) willing to spend $999 on it and B) if they made a 9.5 mm slot loading blu-ray optical drive. The thing does not exist as far as I can tell.

13. 406312 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for clarifying some points. I'll be sure to utilize that Mroogle search engine in the future.

I appreciate your welcoming. I am also thrilled to see individuals post spam on a thread. I hope it's not a reflection of all the users on this forum.

14. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Sorry, but its likely that none of that will happen. USB 3.0 is probably more likely than any of those, which says something.

15. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this thread in and of itself is spam. There are plenty of threads already regarding the new Macbook Pros, and even two large ones (read: the two Arrandale MBP threads) where users have periodically investigated the chance of having the features you've listed in the new MBPs. I weep for the future after reading the threads new members are making.