Are these needed programs for Leopad?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeoTheLion89, Apr 8, 2012.

1. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

my 20GB HDD Hackbook is almost full on space to clear space i want to remove these programs that i dont use and have no plans to in the future:

Address Book
    Mail
    AppleScript
    Automator
    Dictionary
    Font Book
    Preview
    Image Capture

Will these cause problems if deleted?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it may cause problems. Rather than delete core apps, you're better off moving user files to an external drive.

3. simsaladimbamba

Those applications take 125.2 MB away on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, maybe 200 MB on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, if they include all the PPC code.

To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

And don't delete just random files/folders unless you are absolutely sure, what they do and can be deleted.

4. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i used xSlimmer to remove all language and PPC code from all apps on the system even in the system, library and Users folders here is all i have installed after a fresh install of iDeneb Leopard 10.5.8 i have little over 7GB free space

Microsoft Office 2001
    Firefox 11
    Safari
    Thunderbird 11
    Microsoft Messenger 8
    Trillian
    Transmission
    iLife 09
    Grawl
    HardwareGrawler
    GrawlSafari
    GrawlTunes
    OnyX
    Windows Media Player 9
    Last.fm Scrobbler
    RealPlayer
    DivX Plus
    iTunes 10
    VLC
    xSlimmer 1.6.2
    AppDelete
    OSx86 Tools
    Stuffit Expander 15
    MKtextTool 1.0
    ATMM (About This Mac Modifier)

Also Google chrome wont work im not sure what is going on but running iDeneb and iPC 10.5.6 Chrome worked fine but installing 10.5.8 it dont every page (even Chromes preferences Tab) loads to a this page has crashed message every website every setting same thing on every chrome version any idea what's going on there i would rather use Chrome but it not working is making me use Firefox

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As other stated, never ever delete core apps. Worst...idea...ever....

That aside if you have iOS devices, check iTunes's backup, I just cleared off 20 gigs of hard drive space for my brother in law because of that. (He has a 64gb air so thats a big amount for him).

6. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i dont have and never will get any iOS devices or iPods i have no use for iTunes whatsoever

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can remove AppDelete entirely, as it's not necessary. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

8. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

here is a screen shot of what i get with chrome it is this way on every setting and every website any ideas?

Attached Files:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you click the link for suggestions?

10. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

yes the link shows that same message loading that link in Firefox points me to making a new profile which i have done 100 times Google Searches had yeilded the same problem but no answers google support does not fix it following their steps either

----------

Google Chrome worked fine on 10.5.6 updating to 10.5.8 this is what i get something in the ComboUpdate did this but im not sure as to what and how to fix it