Are these normal behaviors for iPodTouch 3G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hajime, Oct 30, 2009.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I have 2 days left for an exchange. My new iPod Touch 3G 64GB has the following behaviors. Are they normal?

1. It does not switch between portrait and landscape modes 100% of the time. Is it supposed to?

2. Even when it does, sometime it takes time to render. I see small squares (black and white like a check board) on half of the screen when I rotate the device to switch between portrait and landscape modes.

3. I downloaded a pdf file from a website. When I opened it, the device was sluggish. Again, I saw lots of small squares in parts of the screen.

4. Even the device has indicated that it has detected the wifi network, sometime there are problems in using the internet.

5. Very sluggish performance whenever Voice Control is activated. It is like the device were running through virtualization.

Thanks.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sounds like your ipod definitely has problems, that's not how it should act at all! If there is an Apple store near you, set up a Genius appointment and take it in. If not, call Apple support, and they will most likely arrange to ship you a replacement.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

For the portrait vs landscape, just be aware that there are apps where there is no landscape mode available. I don't think that is the issues however.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Can anybody please verify if their iPodTouch 3G (OS 3.1.2) behaves the same way?

1. Under Safari, when I do not enter any website address, the window is in blank white color. When I rotate the device, it switches from landscape to portrait. During the rotation, I see checkerboard pattern in half of the screen for a brief moment. There is no checkerboard pattern when going from portrait to landscape. Same problem under www.apple.com However, under Mail and Memo, there is no checkerboard pattern regardless of whether I switch from landscape to portrait or vice versa.

2. Under Calendar, Photo, Weather, Map, Youtube, World Clock, Voice Memo, Video, App Store and Settings, I cannot switch between landscape and portrait modes. I can switch modes for the remaining applications which came with the device.

3. At home with wireless connections, sometime when visiting www.google.com, a blank window appears. Pressing the reloading icon does not help.

Thanks.

5. TheEvilDonut macrumors member

TheEvilDonut

I'm pretty sure that all the apps you mentioned don't have an alternate mode.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have this happen on my 2g. It just takes a bit for it to adjust and fill up the empty space.

Those don't have horizontal views. Which is dumb in the send of youtube - only when you watch them does it rotate...

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Photo does horizontal for me

The photo viewer on my iPod Touch 2.2.1 software does do landscape (horizontal view).

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

At the start - or when viewing a picture? I only get it when i drill down to a picture. I assumed he was talking about the main level of each thing.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

10. destroyer333 macrumors newbie

It normal

I believe its normal to have checker box because as you know it takes a few sec to load and fill in the spaces. Though i just tested it out, i believe it only happens in the blank page.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The thing that sounds to me like abnormal behavior is this:
    I have a 3rd gen 32GB, and I've never noticed any such slow down when using voice control. Also, when I rotate my ipod while using Safari or other apps that switch between landscape and portrait, the rotation usually takes only a second or two. Occasionary, when the page is complex, it takes longer, and some apps take longer to rotate than others, but again, I've never felt it was so slow that I questioned whether it should really take that long. OTOH, I've been using the Touch since the first gen, so maybe the 3rd gen just feels much faster than I expect based on my experiences with the earlier models.

12. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes. I cannot change mode at the main level of photo. However, after selecting the picture, I can do the rotation.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay, then that's normal.

I really can't tell wether your other issues are normal or not. Hard telling this with written descriptions -- you say "It's slow," but what might be slow for you could be fast for me. :D

If you are otherwise satisfied with the ipod and just wondering if the behavior you are seeing is normal, then I wouldn't worry about the due date of the return policy. Just contact Apple support, describe the issues you are having, and they can tell you if that's normal or not. Should be faster and more accurate than talking about it over the internet. Your ipod comes with a one-year warranty, so if anytime during the year, Apple determines that your ipod has a hardware defect, they will give you a replacement.

14. Fel08 macrumors newbie

The checkboard one is normal. I also get that. It just means that the rest of the screen is loading.

15. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much for all of you.

My 3g does that even there is no internet connection and the window is blank (in white). Given that the device has 64GB and that 3g is supposed to be faster than the 2g, this should not happen. I am under the impression that this could be fixed by software.

Sometime when there is an internet connection, typing www.google.com does not load the page. Instead, only a blank page appears on the screen. I wonder what is happening.

16. mutantblack macrumors regular

may be weak signal from WIFI? Why don't you delete the AP and re configure and try again.