Are these normal temps for an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jharvey71884, Jul 14, 2016.

1. jharvey71884 macrumors regular

So my Late 2013 iMac started freezing today. The mouse will move, but I can't click on anything. Freaking me out.

I am booting from an external SSD, but have been doing it for five or six months with no issues. I also added a USB hub I got from Amazon Prime Day just yesterday. Have since unplugged it and it still seems to be freezing.

Troubleshooting what it is. I downloaded iStat. Are these normal temps for an iMac? Wondering if a fan is bad or something? Maybe dust.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2016 ---
    About 1300 rpm for the fan.

Attached Files:

2. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

briloronmacrumo

The temperatures ( assuming they are Fahrenheit which the OP didn't specify ) seem mostly normal. It's time for you to run Apple's Hardware test. Also, even though you're booting from an external SSD, a bad internal HDD can still cause issues. It wouldn't hurt to run Smart Utility ( or something similar ) to make sure all drives are okay. The first thing I'd do is make sure you have good backups. Good luck.

3. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, they are Fahrenheit. Thanks for the advice on the activity monitor. I will do that first thing in the morning and report back.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2016 ---
    Another thing I might try...

When I got the USB hub, I switched the USB port the SSD was on to arrange my desk a little cleaner. I wonder if that is a bad USB port and causing with my SSD boot? Likely not the case, but will probably test it to make sure.

4. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Well this is what I did. I blew a bunch of air in there, to make sure no dust was messing things up.

I then did a disk utility check to make sure each drive was fine. No problems found.

SO I just booted off my old hard drive (forgot how slow a spinning disk is, HA). I was messing around with a few things and noticed my SSD external disconnected. HMMMMM

So I'm guessing that is what has been happening. I cleaned out the enclosure and reconnected by USB. Hoping that it works now.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 15, 2016 ---
    Also updated the PRAM...

20 minutes in and I haven't seen an issue. So I'm hoping that connection between the external SSD enclousure was just not working well and has been fixed.

5. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Had issue creep up again tonight a couple times. Switched out the enclosure cable for another USB 3.0 cable. Going to see if that works. Going on 17 minutes with no freeze up.

If that doesn't work, I might order a new enclosure online and see if that is the issue and boot from my old spinning HD for the time being. If there are no issues there, I will know for sure it's the SSD and wait for the new enclosure. If it continues to have problems with a new enclosure, I will know it's the SSD drive (which isn't even two months old).

Any other ideas?

6. cynics macrumors G3

If its not overly difficult I would try booting off your internal HDD before buying anything else to help isolate the problem.

But first (as when trying to diagnose any problem) make sure you have a solid backup up of your important information.

7. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it hadn't done it for all day, so I thought it was the cable, but it did it again. SIGH...

So it has been narrowed to
    1. The enclosure itself is bad.
    2. The hard drive is failing.
    3. My USB ports on the back are failing.

8. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I have a new enclosure on the way, but I'm thinking that it might actually be the hard drive itself. Today I was trying to use (didn't have any problems yesterday) and OS kept crashing on it. It was running extremely slow. Might have to see if I can get the warranty replaced.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Might as well check the HDD SMART data to see if that kicks up any errors.

If you need to check the SMART data on a USB enclosure, download SATSMARTDriver and then restart -- it will then show SMART data for both internal & external drives.