Are these phenomenons considerd normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyleforever, Jul 6, 2013.

1. kyleforever macrumors newbie

I am using mbp 2011 early version 15'
    and recently found out

1. while charging....mbp gets more hotter enough to make fan runs about
    3000rpm while not doing any tasks.

2. using a dac(which gets power from the usb port)with mbp for listening to music also makes mbp more hotter, thus makes more fan noise than using internal mbp speaker.

3. using a dac also consumes more battery. I fully charged the battery and
    played songs using dac and active speakers untill battery went down to 10%. It tooked only about 1 hours and a half.

4. very same situation like number 2 and number 3 except for this time its not dac but using a external monitor thru mini dp.

so in conclusion if i try to watch a full hd movie using mbp with my external monitor connected and active speaker, the fan goes crazy.

what do you think?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My MBPs do not exhibit the heat or fan issues that you describe. I'd say this is not considered normal

3. Doward macrumors 6502a

You're leaking power somewhere. Get it checked out.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

1, depends if the mbp is in use whilst charging. Even if it's powered off heat is generated during a charge cycle.

2, USB is CPU intensive so yes depending on device (Dac would count) then the fans will step up.

3, you stated the Dac is USB powered. So yes your battery will drain faster.

*** using an external monitor with a large res or running duel head will make the GPU hotter in turn ramping the fans up.

You need to check the CPU usage with istat and compare it to the heat/ fan speed

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Agreed with the others here, there is something that isn't right going on. My MBP doesn't get hot while charging or make the fans spin up.