Are these phones really that bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Versus, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Versus macrumors member

Man, I tell ya, reading some of these problem threads really makes you appreciate the age old saying "ignorance is bliss". Dust under the screen, water sensors triggering from getting off a cool plane into a hot day, light leaks, casing cracks, snapped off silent switches, the list goes on.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to be rude or anything and let me just say this forum has been very helpful to a potentially new iPhone owner like myself, but honestly, sometimes, I wish I never found this place.

Friday morning I would have strolled into ATT, grabbled an Incase Slider at the Apple store and enjoyed my new toy to it's fullest. Now I feel like I need to wrap it in a kevlar cocoon and scrutinize it under a microscope. The worst part is, I'm the kinda guy that will stress over the most minute imperfection and never be happy.

Are they really that bad? Obviously the positives must outweigh its shortcomings or none of you would be here. Still, it's all very harrowing for someone who hasn't even gotten their yet.

Maybe I should just roll with this 3 year old LG flip phone that's jammed in my pocket next to two sets of keys, a cigarette lighter, and a flashdrive. It's full of dust, scratches, and tobacco leaves, and I could care less. ;)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... I am not obsessed with my iPhone, my answer is always: I just cannot find a better alternative. If you put it in a case and are responsible, you shouldn't have the problems that you see so many threads about.

3. ~Wibble~ macrumors member

it might seem like all iphones have problems reading this forum but it's not true. in the office there are 4 iphone owners, all working perfectly and I have the original Iphone still 100% fine *touchwood*.

~wibble

4. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

People are vocal when things go wrong, otherwise they are silent.

For every user with a problem with their iPhone, there are countless more with none.

5. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Take the number of complaints you find and divide that by the number of iPhones sold. You'll find the rate of problems to be extremely low - less than the industry standard.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I wish I hadn't found this place sometimes too. People always come here almost ONLY to scrutinize then criticize a product/company. It makes me want to baby my devices like nothing else. Macbook Air display lines? Well wth I never even knew about that issue but now I am constantly checking my Air to make sure its fine. Hinge issues? Now it takes me 30 minutes to close the display because I do it so carefully (exaggeration, for effect). iPhone cracks? Well wth people, both my 3G's and my 2G never had any issues, but now I find myself babying the device like its a premature baby.

This site is a curse, but its addicting because arguing with people here is a blast. MacRumors is like the cocaine of technology sites.

7. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

IMO, besides a Mac and a PS3, the iPhone is the best piece of technology I've ever used or owned. But with that, it still does not make it immune to things. I've has freezes, push complaints, camera complaints, and the little things such as cut, copy, paste, etc. However,

The pros clearly outweigh the cons.

8. azsprty macrumors 6502

I have never had issues with my 3G at all...not dust, no "light leaks" etc. if it happens, just swap it out for a new one

9. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

unless your moisture sensor is triggered by going from cold outside to warm inside.... or because your hands were a bit sweaty....

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Your hands must be insanely sweaty because I had my 3G in my pocket and I got sprayed all over with a hose (I was soaked) and it didn't go off.

11. Earley008 macrumors member

I have never had a problem with my 3g. i would defiantly recommend the phone, as it is simply the best phone i have ever had.

Touchwood, i never have and never will have any of the problems that have been reported. I am saving for my 3gs.

12. Rootus macrumors 6502

I've dropped my first gen iPhone so many times I've lost count, and as often as not onto something really bad like concrete. I finally started getting a few small dents in the aluminum back, but the phone has been rock solid. Like others have mentioned, when you go to an enthusiast site you will get a disproportionate number of complaints -- nobody posts here to say how well their iPhone works, only when they have trouble. Look at how many trouble reports you see on MR, and then consider how many millions of iPhones have been sold. I'd wager 99.9% of all iPhone owners experience no problems at all.

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

There are like 40 million iphone/ipod touches out there.

You compile the complaints of a few hundred people and jump to conclusions.

Please enroll in a Logic class at your local community college.

Profit.

14. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Had mine since January and no problems at all. I don't keep it in a case but I don't put other things in the same pocket. I'm not too worried about the odd little mark. Couldn't be happier.

15. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I bought my 3G on launch day.

No issues at all.

Except on the left side, two slight light leaks about half an inch each.

But my case covers them up anyway.

Other than that, no issues.

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I have dozens of friends with iPhones and I've never heard any of them complain about any of these issues.

17. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Same, over 5 iPhones, old iPhone doing well. The best protection is either a case, or a invisible shield equivalent. I'd recommend the invisible shield as it covers most of the iPhone, and stops any major scratches.

18. tryppy macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Exactly what I was going to say. As with any phone/product you will always find more complaints posted than consumers who are happy with the product.

It's unfortunate. I felt the same way as you but to tell you the truth, I have had this phone since last August and have never had a single problem with it.

And I keep mine naked. Just be responsible with it. =]

19. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Oh gosh! I just noticed it on mine. Right by the silver siding. Still, not enough to not recommend it like crazy.