Are these programs compatible with rMBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jul 24, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello,

I am holding the purchase as I heard that a lot of applications look bad on the rMBP. Are the following software compatible with retina display? Any experience appreciated. Thanks.

LaTeXiT
    Firefox
    Microsoft Office
    Adobe Illustrator
    Adobe Photoshop Extended
    Adobe Premiere
    Matlab/Simulink with lots of toolboxes
    iMovie
    iWeb
    Visual Studio C++ (Windows 7 via Bootcamp)
    Autodesk Inventor (Windows 7 via Bootcamp)
    VMware Fusion (Windows 7)
    Windows 7 on Bootcamp

2. pgiguere1, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Of all the applications you mentioned, only iMovie currently has been updated with Retina graphics. Everything related to Windows 7 will work at native resolution (2880x1800) with really tiny UI elements unless you play with DPI settings, which won't apply to games.

You have to give time to developers for OS X third-party applications to be updated. iWeb is a first-party application but it has been discontinued with iLife '06 so don't expect any update. As for Windows and its applications, it won't be "updated" with HiDPI settings comparable to what's on OS X until PC hardware with HiDPI screens comes out. With the average Windows laptop sold in the US costing 513$, that may take a while.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. In regard to things related to Windows 7, if I increase the font size to 150-180%, then will everything be fine? I don't have good eye sight.

Somewhere I read that Bootcamp does not provide driver for the GPU which came with the rMBP 15". Is this still true? I think if there is no driver for the GPU, graphics performance will be poor. So, running 3D CAD software such as Inventor on a rMBP is not going to work well.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

no it wont be fine. it'll be very slightly better but i wouldn't say its actually usable.

5. qpiqp macrumors member

I have no problem using it at 150%, though I have pretty good eyesight short distance. The text may be a problem for you, but you can still run it in a lower resolution. Also, the retina runs Windows amazingly and definitely uses the discrete GPU.

6. hajime, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Where did you get the driver for the GPU?

I don't play games. I usually use the laptop for reading, writing, programming, doing 3D simulations, etc.

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

some people are willing to wait for updated applications. others like me, use an external monitor for now to avoid these issues. then there are people who buy the RMBP and don't do anything on it except browse the web/email.

8. qpiqp macrumors member

Didn't it just come with the rest of the Windows drivers that Bootcamp downloads?