Are these situations worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xheathen, Aug 14, 2010.

1. xheathen macrumors 6502

Just curious - I'm looking on ebay for 24" imacs to see what's out there, and I come across a few that look like they are probably being sold from a company that buys companies surplused units. So, you end up with what you see but zero software, boxes, manuals, warranty info, etc

I'm inclined to think they probably provide what they say they do due to the positive feedback, but do you think these are decent enough sources to do business with?

The one in particular I see is a 24" 3.06ghz imac with a nVidia 512mb graphics card and 4gb of RAM for $1099. It sounds like a pretty decent deal, but is it more prudent to stay away from these kinds of things?

I'm almost more inclined to wait and keep trolling craigslist - I live in a college town and there seem to be a good amount of imacs popping up now and again when people graduate and get newer machines.

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if they say they are buying surplus stock or used machines why wouldn't they still have the original software, manuals and warranty info?

3. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

The refurbished section of Apple's website is a good place to get an iMac also and they are in immaculate condition IMO.

4. xheathen thread starter macrumors 6502

You can kind of see from the other auctions thats the kind of stuff they procure.

I keep coming back to the refurb store and looking at the 27" refurb. I'd really like to get the new one but I just can't spend that much.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There is a small store near here that sells lease turn in iMacs for $499 (ppc) and $799 (intel). We have several Mac minis and are happy with them. I must admit that if I didn't already have the minis with keyboards and monitors, I would take a closer look at the used iMacs. With used machines, you probably won't get a snow leopard DVD so you should add the cost of an os DVD to the cost of your used iMac purchase. It's always a good idea to have the os on hand. Also you might not get an iLife 09 DVD with a used machine and it's a good idea to have that around as well. Boxes? Manuals? No need. But having your DVDs on hand is a good thing. Make surre you thoroughly test the machine before giving plus feedback.