Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mntentman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
See the two horizontal lines at each side of the screen near the top? Are these considered dead pixels, or something else? Is there anything that can be done to get rid of them? Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 124

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
See the two horizontal lines at each side of the screen near the top? Are these considered dead pixels, or something else? Is there anything that can be done to get rid of them? Thanks.

An iPhone taking shot of an iPhone.

Are they persistent? Is it still covered by AppleCare?

Stuck pixels are often incorrectly referred to as dead pixels, which have a similar appearance. In a dead pixel, all three sub-pixels are permanently off, producing a permanently black pixel. Dead pixels can result from similar manufacturing anomalies as stuck pixels, but may also occur from a non-functioning transistor resulting in complete lack of power to the pixel.[citation needed] Dead pixels are much less likely to correct themselves over time or be repaired through any of several popular methods.[citation needed]
Stuck pixels, unlike dead pixels, have been reported by LCD screen owners to disappear, and there are several popular methods purported to fix them,[4] such as gently rubbing the screen (in an attempt to reset the pixel), cycling the color value of the stuck pixel rapidly (in other words, flashing bright colors on the screen), or simply tolerating the stuck pixel until it disappears (which can take anywhere from a day to years). While these methods can work on some stuck pixels others cannot be fixed by the above methods. Also some stuck pixels will reappear after being fixed if the screen is left off for several hours.

mntentman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
No, they move around. So stuck rather than dead, I am guessing? Should I still try restoring?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
No, they move around. So stuck rather than dead, I am guessing? Should I still try restoring?

If they're moving around constantly, than it's likely a GPU failure or software issue. Stuck pixels do move but not continuously.

Try to restore it, don't sync it with a backup.

mntentman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
They are generally in the same area, but vary in size... sometimes what you see in the pic, sometimes the whole width of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.