Are these the OS discs?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by brenden, Dec 13, 2011.

1. brenden macrumors regular

brenden

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

From The Image

It's hard to give you a definite yes, but they LOOK like the OS installation disks, why not ask the seller exactly what the details say on the media? Just get him to read it out to you......Better to be sure you are getting the right ones.

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah they look like them, but that's a bit steep for grey disks, have more of a look around, try and find them at a cheaper price... Although YES, they look like the G5 OS disks, but as the previous poster said. Don't put too much trust in this seller, as it looks like he doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to Macs.

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'd also be cautious.
    The gray restore disks only work on the Make/Model of mac that they came with.

Definitely ask the seller to give you the fine-print on the discs.

You might want to consider buying a retail install disk of the OS X version you want.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

wouldn't these be osx 10.2.7 (jaguar.... only released for G5 powermac)

i would look for retail osx leopard

6. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Have you seen the price of retail Leopard disks? Yes Leopard would be perfect for a G5 but in my opinion it's ludicrous would people pay for used Leopard disks...

I would maybe just get the damn thing going then definitely put Leopard on it in the future. :)

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

jaguar vs leopard

-jag=limitied internet browsing threw older safari,firefox,camino...itunes limitied to older versions (thus limiting your ipod models)...slower overall score in geekbench (if that matters?) ect ect

-leopard=useful internet browsers (safari,tenfourfox,camino,ff)...updating itunes still (thus ipods,iphones ect all still useful) ect ect

crazy ebay leopard yes...but unless he maybe chooses tiger at min, user really limits the machines uses....

8. Goftrey, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Jaguar is unusable now, the bare minimum you can go in my opinion in Tiger, although Leopard is a extremely more flexible and is still supported for most applications... It depends what kind of budget the OP is on I suppose. But I love Tiger and Leopard :)

Edit : @OP maybe just get Tiger retail and wait until you can afford Leopard as Tiger is as cheap as chips these days... :p