Are these things normal: MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stoopkitty, Jul 3, 2011.

1. stoopkitty macrumors member

I bought a MBP less than a week ago.

15in, four core 2GHz i7, AMD Radeon HD 6490M and Intel HD Graphics 3000, 500GB ATA, 4GB RAM

I have never owned one before and there are a few things I am wondering what they are and if they are normal.

• I hear a slight wooshing noise from the right side of my computer. I don't think it is the fan, although I am not an expert, but I have heard the fan on my desktop mac before and it does not sound the same. It sounds like someone inhaling but continuously, and sometimes they take in more air and sometimes less. I have used other mac laptops before, and they seemed silent. This one seems louder. Could this be a problem? What do you think it is? The HDD?
    • Checking smcFanControl, the temperature is 133deg F (56deg C). My desktop ran at about 100deg. Is this normal for a laptop?
    • Not exactly a MBP problem, but does anyone else have huge mem/processor issues with Chrome? And chrome helper? It eats my battery. Even when chrome is closed, google chrome helper is still open in the background, and often eats up an entire core (100%-110%). If i force quit it, it goes back down for a while, and then ~30 mins later, it goes back up.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

the noise is from your hdd, the temperature seems normal depending on your usage, and i don't use chrome but all browsers take quite a bit of memory.

3. stoopkitty thread starter macrumors member

its ok that it makes that much noise?
    ok.
    ok, memory, but an entire core of CPU? when its not even open?

4. stoopkitty thread starter macrumors member

Also, when I log out, the display resolution often changes like this.

And just downloaded free TF2 and it got to 180deg F. which is extremely high and i am sure it wrecked my cpu i think i am going to take it in tomorrow.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not sure about the res issue, but those temps are perfectly normal for gaming. Laptops simply run hotter than desktops.

6. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Perfectly normal temperature. It's not a desktop.

7. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Your MBP has a thermal protection switch that will shut down the computer before it gets too hot in order to prevent damage. Your CPU is fine.

Its a laptop and will run much hotter than a desktop when doing CPU/GPU intensive tasks. When I play TF2 it usually hovers around 80 deg C. Other games I see it hit 83-84 deg C. Its normal.

8. windowstomac macrumors regular

I have odd issues with Chrome on my new MBP too, sometimes it refuses to quit properly.

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

depending on the drive, it's not unusual for it to be audible but i mean if it sounds like a lawnmower or car engine then yes you have an issue.

10. windowstomac macrumors regular

I never hear so much of a whisper out of the HDD in my new MBP....just sayin...