Are these things normal on my rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViPa, Aug 22, 2012.

1. ViPa macrumors 6502a

I received my rMBP two days ago, and I have a few concerns:

- It's an LG screen, and there is some ghosting..I can get over this, it's not too bad.

- When opening the lid from the closed position, the log in screen appears, but is frozen momentarily and I am unable to log in right away (this has happened a few times). Also, I've logged in after opening the lid and gone to the desktop and the screen went completely black, I had to press the power button to wake it up again and log back in (this has happened approx. 3 times so far)

- Scrolling in chrome seems to be a bit choppy and not as smooth as I'd expect. It seems to be better on safari, but it is also noticeable on some websites.

I realize these are minor hiccups that can possibly be fixed with a software update (probably not the ghosting), I'm just wondering if other users are in the same boat. Is it worth exchanging for a new one?

Set up is: 2.6/16GB/256

Thanks

2. Hats macrumors newbie

Yeah, they're 'normal'. Known issues and bugs. The ghosting might be a reason for you to exchange your rMBP, depends on how much it annoys you.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

Welcome to being on the bleeding edge of tech. And yes, chrome performance is awful on the RMBP. My 2008 MacBook can handle it way better.

4. ViPa thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, are these issues going to be addressed in 10.8.1? or is that update only focusing on battery issues?

5. jasonx2 macrumors member

Go to system preferences, then click the energy saver. Turn off the automatic graphic switcher and the problem will just gone.:)

6. ViPa thread starter macrumors 6502a

^i have tried that, it doesnt seem to make a huge difference..also, i updated to 10.8.1..im not sure if it made much of a difference

7. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

No software update is going to be able to shrink the transistors. It's as fast as it's ever going to be. Further updates will likely add more features and slow it down.

8. Yuke macrumors member

LG vs. Samsung panel - I can't really comment on this, since mine has a Samsung panel. I haven't noticed any flaws/ghosting/whatever on mine.

Pause at login screen when waking - Yes, I see this occasionally as well. Not every time, but often enough to notice. Generally I can tell if it's accepting input by looking for the flashing cursor in the password field. If it's not flashing, it's not "ready". I can't say that I've had any instances of it falling asleep *after* going through that screen, though.

Chrome behaving badly - Absolutely. I've switched to Safari until they shape things up, mainly due to the crashing when on the integrated graphics card. I imagine it'll just take Google's team a bit of time to get things working properly again. Luckily most of the things I miss from Chrome are available in Safari now - Omnibar is there by default now, as is Reader view (iReader in Chrome mimics this - or the other way around), Click2Flash and Adblock... The switch honestly hasn't been all that painful so far. I *do* miss pinning tabs.

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Brute force isn't the only way to solve a lag problem. It is very much to do with how the operating system is optimised. Expect updates to improve frame rate drops over time. A laptop that lags on webpages but runs intensive 3D games smoothly is clearly not one with hardware issues.