Are these tricks safe?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iCeFuSiOn, Jan 19, 2008.

1. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I've just switched over to Mac and I've got a few questions about two tricks I wanted to use to customize my OS X Leopard a bit.

"sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 0.62"

and

"defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO"

Are both of these 100% safe to use, and won't break or hinder the functionality of my computer?

Thanks!

2. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I don't actually know what the first one is but the second I know as turning off the 3D Dock and has been around since about a fortnight after the release of Leopard and I have heard no ill things about it.

3. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hm I figured as such because the 3D Dock trick is per-user while the menu bar is system-wide, which worries me slightly. I'm new to Mac OS X so I'm not sure if it's something that I should do or not. I've messed around with a few things and I may actually wipe the computer at some point once I know what I'm doing with it so I have a nice clean install, which brings me to another question...

.. what is safe to remove during Leopards setup? Or should I do a standard install? I heard leopard installs 11 language translations by default and im sure I wont need those

4. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Ah seeing as it's the Menu Bar trick then I think it's fine, it's been posted on reputable sites around the web :)
    The things that I would recommend getting rid of are things such as the languages you don't speak and all of the printer drivers you do not need. I can't actually remember what other options there were, it was a while ago now ;)
    If you do by a printer that needs a driver you decided not to install then you can d/l it with Software Update which is new in Leopard.

5. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? So I wouldn't be missing out on anything if I do decide down the road that I need those because I can install them at a later date?

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep if you need them at a later date just pop in your disk and it gives them
    as a optional install

7. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

So once I've got Mac OS X installed and set up the way I like it, updated it using Software Update, and I've applied those two tricks, and do a permissions repair to be on the safe side, I shouldn't have any issues at all? Sorry if I seem a bit stupid when it comes to this, I'm just so used to having to re-install Windows every time I turn around :p

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Dont be sorry as everyones on here to help each other out,yep once yourve
    got things up and running just sit back and enjoy always remember its a Mac
    & not a pc

9. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

It looks like 10.5.2 solves this menu bar thing, should I wipe before applying it? Any estimate on when itll be out?

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

No need to wipe before install, just best to not be running applications while doing it.

I personally expect it out in about 2 weeks.

11. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's another question for you all, I hope you don't mind... when should I need to re-install Mac OS X? Or do I need to at all, ever? I'm so used to doing it with Windows that it's burned into my head.

12. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

In short, you don't.
    There are times when it ca become cluttered and and you feel that you need to reinstall but what's probably easier is have an app such as AppTrap that removes any files associated with an app when it is installed so rogue file aren't left behind and also, don't install and uninstall hundreds of apps, this can become messy after a while.
    If you are having problems then it may be worth repairing permissions in Disk Utility and a restart .

13. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I just did a reinstall a few days ago (without the language translations) and here's what I have installed:

- iLife '08 (iWeb, iLife, iDVD, iMovie, GarageBand & the instruments for GarageBand, and "CPU Help Files" -- came with the MacBook Pro, what the heck are these anyway??)
    - iWork '08 (full version, bought it before I got the Mac)
    - Adium 1.2.1 just updated from 1.2
    - TextWrangler
    - Seashore

.. that's it really, everything else I do the Mac can handle with ease with the default programs. All the latest updates are installed (10.5.1, MacBook Pro Update,etc) I've applied the 2D dock "defaults write" and the solid menu bar "sudo defaults write" commands and repaired permissions and rebooted after all was said and done for good measure, it runs great but I'm a bit weary as to reverting the menu bar hack before applying 10.5.2 when it comes out, which is why "Format" suddenly popped in my head.

14. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Oh I see. Well my advise to you would be to wait a little while once .2 is out and then see how people who have used the Menu Bar tweak and have updated are getting on. If after about a week there is no news then I would say it's safe to update.

15. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I know, I can reverse the 'hack' with the following command:

sudo defaults delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables'

Which just strips out the following data from the .plist:

<key>EnvironmentVariables</key>
    <dict>
    <key>CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE</key>
    <string>0.62</string>
    </dict>

So in theory I shouldn't have any problem if I reverse the hack, reboot, install 10.5.2, reboot, and repair permissions. I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid over the whole thing. I just don't like the system-level nature of this. :confused:

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, I have updated before with more involved system hacks and all was well. Afterall it is only really a system preference hack, this file could well be overwritten during the update, especially considering some of the screen-shots of 10.5.2 which show it becoming a user option.

It is best to avoid updating the first night that it is released and don't read too much into the negative issues that people will post as generally people only post if there is a problem so these boards are skewed somewhat.