Are these two RAMS the same?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cell-666, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

Just got a refurbed late 2013 27" iMac with 16 gig of memory installed. I also have a Mac mini with 16gig of ram and the previous set of 8 gig. Would be great if I could drop the 16 gig kit out of the mini straight into the iMac.

They are from Crucial and after checking on there site, at first they appear to be identical kits. Then I spotted the part number was slightly different. Can someone please confirm they are in fact the same please.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)&pl=Apple

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...ntel Core i5 2.3Ghz) DDR3 - Mid 2011&pl=Apple

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

As you noted, they are identical in specs and form factor but are in fact different in some way since they have different part numbers.

See here, here and here. You need to be extremely careful with upgrade RAM in the Late 2013 iMacs.

Since you already own the RAM in question there is no harm in installing it in the iMac and seeing how it works. Apple recommends DDR3 PC3-12800 1.5 V modules, but in fact they ship the machines with DDR3L 1.35 V and that is what is required. The RAM you have there fits the specs. If you get any random kernel panics you'll have your answer.

If it were a choice between which to order though, I would have unequivocally advised against you buying the CT3327435 for the iMac.

3. Cell-666 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the reply. As you say I have the ram already so I'll look at the actual numbers on the sticks see of they are in fact the same, but with just a different stock number so they could have a section on their site. I can soon whip them out if I start getting warnings.

Or maybe worth firing an email off to crucial asking the question :)

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

There is absolutely no risk in installing those modules in your iMac. As mentioned, specs-wise they are right for your machine.

The worst-case scenario is that you will have kernel panics, freezes, crashes. etc. You're not going to have any risk whatsoever of physical damage.

You can ask Crucial right in their forums and they will respond within 24 hours. I suspect they will say that those modules are not the ones they recommend for the Late 2013 iMac.

You may have no problems with them at all. It really is hit or miss with RAM on the Haswell Macs.

5. Cell-666 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I installed the modules earlier, was a definite not. The iMac started doing the memory beeps so was totally rejected. I've slapped that back in the mini and ordered another set of CT4951620.
    I wasn't expecting them to be so different that the machine said dada.

Thanks for the help though :)

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

That it wouldn't even recognize the RAM is surprising to me as well. The good news is that the iMac Crucial RAM you've ordered should work perfectly. :)

7. Cell-666 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I have no doubts :)

Was strange it wouldn't even boot.