Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
Baumi said:
Here's a page of someone who's got a clear plastic SE:

http://www.regnirps.com/SEF/seitem.htm

Baumi

Baumi,

I was just about to post that link, that looks like the SE I have, and as it said only a limited number of them were actually done. I have one of them it was personally give to me long with the Duo and Duo Dock.

Anyway, I am thinking about letting the LC go, with the Apple IIe card and joysticks and disk drives I have for the LC.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
HiRez said:
That's not a bad idea. Try The Computer History Museum, The San Diego Computer Museum, The American Computer Museum, or any number of others. Pick someplace you trust and get insurance because I think those will definitely be worth some money, but the great thing is the longer you take to sell them, the more they may be worth. One thing to bear in mind if you try to sell them is you may face legal challenges from Apple if you acquired these items while working there. Not sure what the policy would be for something that old. Anyway, those are very cool!

Thanks guys, this is a great idea, I was going to have my own computer museum of sorts but just not have the space for it. Everything I have is sitting in storage boxes and have not seen the light of days in years.

I had not thought about the insurance thing, I should get these covered like my other fine art and collectables.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
jjlange said:
Does the tablet have a color screen?

Good questions it has been so long since I actually turned it on I do not remember, I'll have to dig out a power supply since the battery is completely dead.

I'll fire it up and take a few pictures, However, I do believe it was color since it was being develop at the same time the Duo 270 & 280 was coming out.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
This thread must have caught some attention, I just looked at the number of viewings and it is over 6000 for a discussion group that usually only gets a few hundred.

Uma888

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham, United Kingdom
i think you shouldnt sell them (they are like RARE diamonds :eek: :eek: ).
i think you should ask apple/get legal advise before you sell them, cause technically they still belong to apple because they have never been released

but i might be worng :confused:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Insure the tablet. Back up its hard drive. Keep it safe.

That think is so damn cool. I don't think you realize just how neat it is. You had to have had one of the best jobs at Apple-- working on stuff and then, if it got canceled, got to take home the prototype.

Damn.... If I could buy those, I would.... but I can't. :( Still, that table is the coolest thing I have seen in YEARS.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Copyright

Uma888 said:
i think you shouldnt sell them (they are like RARE diamonds :eek: :eek: ).
i think you should ask apple/get legal advise before you sell them, cause technically they still belong to apple because they have never been released

but i might be worng :confused:

You could be spot on here, copyright is such a grey area and you know how Apple respond to people who infinge their designs.
I would keep them for your old age, think of it as your pension!

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Wow, thats some seriously cool stuff.

And I was wondering whether I should keep my Performa 6200 because I think its a nice bit of history!!!!!!! :D (It has got the TV card and Apple remote control so its pretty cool - lol!

Vedia

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
Maestro64 said:
This thread must have caught some attention, I just looked at the number of viewings and it is over 6000 for a discussion group that usually only gets a few hundred.

This topic has travel beyond borders, cause I have read it in a Spanish forum. Even in french forums are talking about this amazing stuff you have. :rolleyes:

Why don't you try to put them in an auction, and find out how much people are intended to pay?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Vedia said:
This topic has travel beyond borders, cause I have read it in a Spanish forum. Even in french forums are talking about this amazing stuff you have. :rolleyes:

Why don't you try to put them in an auction, and find out how much people are intended to pay?

wouldn't that be a form of fraud?

if anything, you are creating false hopes, not a nice thing to do :(

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
Well the Duo is a release product so there is no issue there, and there is no law about something that was heading to a land fill being saved for the future.

Not sure how I am creating false hope, false hope apple might create a tablet computer or that I might sale it.

Well I am not sure what they are worth, from others who have rare apple things like this they say no one is willing to pay anything for them. Everyone likes the idea of having something like these in a collections but not worth paying for.

I think people who own Apples pay so much for their computer they do not have extra money to buy anything else :D

Well I am glad people are enjoying looking at these, and I hope to dig out the other pieces and show them to everyone soon.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Not sure how much i beleive the tablet is real, I have seen photoshops that look just as good and hacks on Applefritter.The only way I beleive it is if i seen it.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Legallity

About the legality of the "ownership", I would look more deepy into this, as things you have taken home from work are still officially owned by the company. Did they give it to you or summit? Also, when a product is decided to be pulled, often all material realting to that product line is recalled by the company.
I think the two things you have shown are great (the tablet the better of the two), and it would be good to see them working.
You may want to try to cantact an author called "Gordon Laing". He has written books on old computers and computing history ("Digital Retro"), and would probably be interested to hear from you.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Beleiver

Spock said:
Not sure how much i beleive the tablet is real, I have seen photoshops that look just as good and hacks on Applefritter.The only way I beleive it is if i seen it.
And yet you're a Star Trek fan!?

Vedia

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
Spock said:

The only way is watching it in working, pictures with the power on.

I haven't found anything about this prototype on the internet.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Still waiting for some pics of the thing running and a video would be sweet. Im sure it works as good as my Prototype Newton 2 with Mac OS X

UTB_Avid

macrumors member
May 30, 2005
Grand Rapids
I don't think I can say anything more than what has already been said. Those are some pretty freakin sweet artifacts you have there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.