Are they all like this or should I bother to exchange?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by soldierblue, Jul 24, 2012.

1. soldierblue macrumors 6502

Brand new Air, just got it today. I think I've got a couple problems with it.

1) A couple edges on the trackpad aren't very responsive. Not sure if this is something that's "normal" or not. I'm talking maybe 1/4 inch from the edge.

2) Something looks off with the screen. The bottom third or so looks... dimmer or maybe tinted. Again, I don't know if this is something that 11 inch Airs typically exhibit or not.

http://i.imgur.com/t1XOQ.jpg

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope, take it back...that';s not right. It's new so they will swap it out for you...Those corners look pretty bad.

3. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Take it back, it should look nothing like that. The lighting should be even and uniform.

4. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was thinking. Man, I got this because of a string of bad refurbs. What is going on with their QC these days?

5. Gustavo Carvalh macrumors newbie

Mine is a bit like yours. Both bottom corners are a little dimmer than top corners and the right edge is a bit darker than the left edge. I went back to the store where I bought it and could see the dark corners on every 11-inch they had on display. Most people couldn't see it though. Is yours exaggerated in the picture or is that exactly what you see?

6. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

The replacement is exactly the same on both counts. The first came from Apple.com, the second from a retail store. So, in all likelihood, completely different batches. This one also doesn't sit flat on my desk.

I'm this close to replacing my Acer 4820 with a 2012 Vaio S and reconstituting the Acer as my portable audio system.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Mine isn't like that. My advice is to return it and ask to open it at the store before leaving.

8. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I did. The genius flat out said it was within spec and he wouldn't swap it again. So I went home and called up customer relations, it sounds like they're going to do a swap for me, expedited both ways so I won't have to go back to the store.

9. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

...and the replacement seems to have been approved. This unit is getting 'captured' and sent to Cupertino apparently. Since both displays had a substantial lack of uniformity.

10. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

It took me a few minutes to see that the lower 2/5 of the screen was dimmer. I had to sit back and tilt my head sideways, literally.

11. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm admittedly very OCD about the displays I'm using. I don't know why, but I notice these things very easily.

12. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

13. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good call. Seriously.

14. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

It's like a grey and white patchwork quilt. :p Go FoxxCON.

15. LachlanH macrumors regular

It's threads like this that make me feel better about my poor vision.

16. Gustavo Carvalh macrumors newbie

soldierblue, do you notice a difference in brightness between left and right edges?

17. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Ha! I'm hard of hearing and feel the same way about fan noise threads. :D

18. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually thought it was pretty close from left to right. Top to bottom though...

19. david3000 macrumors newbie

Screen: Lower corner dimness is completely normal- compare in Apple Store on solid gray screen. They all look like that.
    Touchpad: tpo edge is very stiff compared to the rest (that is where it is hinged).

20. usmaak macrumors regular

Every macbook air I've seen so far is slightly darker along the bottom edge of the screen, from left corner to right. I just thought that was a normal imperfection.

The one that I returned for having a bulge in the middle of the trackpad was very unresponsive on the bottom third of the trackpad. I sent that one back for the trackpad issue.

21. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

22. JD92, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  23. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

The trackpad on the first Air was pretty bad on all sides except for the top.

24. asting macrumors 6502

The image you posted looks like it's more of a viewing angle problem. If you have the camera that close to the screen you'll start to clip the further down you go based on viewing angle alone.

25. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502