Are they ever gonna fix slow wifi issues?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Lostsol, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Lostsol macrumors regular

Maybe this belongs in the iPhone forum but my iPhone 6 plus has had ridiculously slow wifi since I bought it. I've tried every "fix" on the internet and it still gets a fourth or less the speeds of other devices on the same network. They've put out these incremental updates with various fixes but they don't seem to address the wifi issues. This seems like it would be on the top of the list.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Are you assuming that because you have Wifi issues everyone has wifi issues? I also have a 6 plus and my wifi works fine. Try turning off the Wifi option in locations services under system services.

3. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

And what is that supposed to do? Before turning off something it would be nice to know what it is used for.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It gathers Wifi hotspot information and sends it to Apple. It also helps to pinpoint your GPS location using that info. I have it turned off on my phone.

for refernence:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201357

5. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

It's all in your modem settings and manufacture brand

I just got my 2nd IP6 today and updated to iOS 8.1.2, my launch day IP6 is still sitting on iOS 8.0.

Attached Files:

6. Lostsol thread starter macrumors regular

First of all, I didn't just "assume" that other people have the problems. The hundreds if not thousands of posts on the apple forums, these forums, and countless others that say they have not been able to get decent wifi speeds on the same routers they have used with other devices and had no problems. There are also countless articles written on the subject.

I have done my research and tried all the fixes I could find. The resets, and turning off wifi networking. I've rebooted my router and my iPhone more times than I can count.

I do not think that everybody out there who owns an iPhone 6 or plus is having these problems but the web seems to indicate that there are still a lot out here and would like an option that works. I assume that it will eventually come out in a software update.

7. vexorg, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

vexorg macrumors 6502a

I'd say so, every iPod, iPhone and iPad we have had is painfully slow over wifi compared to a macbook or laptop in our house. Probably about 8 or 9 different mobile devices, so I would say he's justified in assuming all are bad.

It's not like they need to be good at wifi, just live with it.

8. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

Son's iPad mini 3 is insufferably bad. Tethering from my Verizon iPhone 6. Small 20mb apps can take up to 10 minutes to download. I've tried everything. So I am now in the process of going WiFried after jailbreaking it to see if that has any effect. I guess I could also go ahead and update it to 8.1.2 since that is now jailbreakable.

----------

Same here. MBP's and iMac are fine. When the g/f and I tether between our iPhone's, it is fine. But the son's iPad is retarded slow.

9. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

I've had a slow WiFi speed problem on the IP5 on iOS5, found out it was the WPA-PSK encryption conflict my Gateway handled it.

I had set it back to WEP on G mode, not a smart idea but it worked

Warning: To hack a WEP encryption it takes 8 mins and WPA-PSK 8 years.

10. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Downloading via WiFi is slow, uploading is not.

I have a 100 Mbit line and I've done numerous speed tests on two Macs (rMBP 15" i7 2,5 and Mac Mini i5 2,3), an iPad Air and an iPhone 5s.

On the Macs I get 90-95 Mbit down and 75-80 Mbit up.
    On the iPad Air and the iPhone 5 the results are flipped.
    Right now I got 58 Mbit down, 78 up on the iPad Air.
    The iPhone 5s: 9 Mbit down, 24 Mbit up.

I've seen better and worse on the iOS devices but I never once got better download than upload speed. Whatever the upload speed is, the download speed is between 1/3 and 2/3 of that.

11. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have not noticed any degradation in performance on my iDevices from iOS 7 to iOS 8.

Is it slow at times? yes, it's Wifi, its' not perfect. Signals bounce when I open and close doors in my house.

If I'm not mistaken the Wifi module on a laptop is much stronger than on a mobile device so to compare the 2 would not be a fair comparison in my opinion.

13. vbjeff macrumors newbie

iPhone6 issue with greenfield mode 802.11n Preamble

I found that my iPhone6, when connected to 802.11n @ 2.4GHz to my router (using Tomato firmware), had extremely poor performance if my router had the “802.11n Preamble setting” set to "greenfield" mode. If I set the 802.11n Preamble to “mixed” mode (the default setting), then everything worked properly. An iPhone4, iPhone5, and iPad2 all had no problems with the "greenfield" mode, just the iPhone6. All speeds also seemed ok when the iPhone6 connected to my router 802.11n @ 5GHz. The only problem I had was with the iPhone6 connecting to 802.11n @ 2.4GHz with 802.11n Preamble set to "greenfield" mode.

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

The OP or me (mine was the post before yours)?

If (B), it's a TC 802.11ac. It has about as many settings as an iPod Shuffle. 2.4GHz > Auto, 5GHz > Auto, Router Mode > DHCP and NAT. That's pretty much it other than the option for DHCP reservations.

15. vexorg macrumors 6502a

When they are both less than a metre away, sitting beside the wireless router, then I don't think the power is relevant. In another room maybe, but these were like for like right up beside the router. If they cannot match the speed there, then they can only be worse further away.

16. Damolee macrumors 6502

In my experience going back to the 4, iPhones are notoriously slow over WIFI compared to other phones.

Fastest i've seen over 2.4Ghz is 30mbit. I hit around 40-60Mbit over 5Ghz.

Other devices can top 100 on my network. This is using both a Netgear and Asus RT-56U router.

iPads aren't great too.

17. RebornProphet Suspended

My iPad Air on iOS 7.1.2 is blazing fast on home wifi. My iPad Air when it was on iOS 8.1 was so slow on the same network. I had to manually enter OpenDNS settings to get any kind of speed. Thankfully Apple swapped out my 8.1 Air and I'm now on one running 7.1.2.

Something about iOS 8 wasn't playing nice with my iPad and router.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

On IOS 7 I ws able to get 101 down, on IOS 8 I am able to get 95 down. This on a 5s. Home connection is 120/40.

So IMO 8.1.1 is slower than 7.1.2 but not significantly.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Did the OP say he did the tests in the same room where the router is? I must have missed that.

20. vexorg macrumors 6502a

No, but *I* did, so it makes my comments valid!