Are they ever gonna update Google maps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhaserFuzz, Jul 18, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Just wondering because those satellite images are old. I know this would be a tedious process to update the whole world haha, but anyone know if it's gonna happen?

2. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I would hope so...especially with all the major changes to interstates and major cities.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They are updating the Satellite images all the time. The ones for my home town used to be from the early 90s and low resolution, then they updated to early last summer, then a week later, from later in that summer. A lot of it has to do with if your area was recently surveyed, and if the local government wants updated images. Otherwise, they are updated as received.

TEG

4. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Who knows! The satellite imagery of around my neck of the woods (the middle of a large town in the UK) is 9 years old now. Hardly anything looks the same as it did 9 years ago. In fact the whole of the town centre has been redeveloped, so if you were to try and use Google Maps to navigate your way around, you would have no idea!

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yeah, they're always updating. and different sections at a time too. All they do is blend in the newer images on top of the older images sections at a time.
    Here's an example. Just click satellite and zoom in.

The satellite pictures in my city are about 2 years old. The street view images are about 6 months old.

6. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

yeah they are constantly updating as they get access to updated imagery. The image of our house used to be from a time when they were installing city storm sewers. At the time my dad's old RV was visible. Now they have updated it, and we can clearly see a difference as the sewer pipes are no longer sitting in our front yard and the RV is about 20 feet longer.

I wish they would update it to include street view in the mobile version.

7. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Street view would be a nice welcome, also perhaps an "advanced" mode like in the blackberry where if you hit "0" it tells you the level of accuracy.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In Atlanta they were updated about 6 months ago and street view about the same.