Are they getting rid of Macbook Pro?

sdmfrocker14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
My teacher who is a total Mac fan-boy and I were discussing why when Mac came out with the recent new addition to iMac, MacBook, and the others... why didn't they do anything to MacBook Pro? His answer was they are weeding it out and doing something else, possible just having the Macbook. What I'm wondering is if anyone heard this is true, or maybe they are just being updated seperatley soon? I planned on buying a new Macbook Pro but I don't really want to if they are going to be out of date or no longer in production... anyone have any knowledge of either?

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
They are not weeding out the MBP anytime soon.
They don't always refresh or update every line simultaneously.

And if they are, it's a stupid decision.

But I'm inclined to think your teacher is talking out of his arse, or greatly misinformed.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
My teacher who is a total Mac fan-boy and I were discussing why when Mac came out with the recent new addition to iMac, MacBook, and the others... why didn't they do anything to MacBook Pro? His answer was they are weeding it out and doing something else, possible just having the Macbook. What I'm wondering is if anyone heard this is true, or maybe they are just being updated seperatley soon? I planned on buying a new Macbook Pro but I don't really want to if they are going to be out of date or no longer in production... anyone have any knowledge of either?
They just updated the MBP recently. There was only one old MB model, so it was sorely due for an update. Nothing to see here. They won't get rid of the MBP.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
The MacBook Pro was updated a year ago and refreshed in June. How often does it need an update? I would expect new i5 MBPs 1stQ 2010.

sdmfrocker14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Do you think they might update it soon? Because like I said I dont wanna buy one if its gonna be out of date anytime soon...

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
So should I wait until 1stQ 2010 to get one or is it not gonna be a huge difference?
I buy when I need to buy, and don't worry a whole lot about what's coming. I bought my MBP in August. I can't tell you to buy or hold. You have to make that decision for yourself.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
There is no way they would ever phase out the MBP's, Apple doesn't do all their refreshes at the same time. It makes no sense to have 3 product updates in the span of a year, there would be a great deal of pissed of customers if that were the case.

For anyone who can wait to buy a MBP, I would indeed wait until 2010 for the update, because it will be a significant upgrade to what it is now, or at least from what I have heard, and know about the technology.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
your teacher sounds spot on. In fact they are going to drop the macbook Pro line (the most popular machine apple currently makes) and carry only the white macbook. they spent all that R&D to redesign the macbook pro a year ago just to drop it. (sense the sarcasm?)

I think if you would have really stopped and asked yourself if that made sense you would have never posted this.

Apple just refreshed the macbook pro line in June. they normally update every 7-9 months. and by update i mean a processor bump, or a new feature such as when they added the SD card. They redesign the form factor every few years.

lastly, anything that anyone tells you here about a pending refresh and the details of it, are pure speculation. NO ONE here knows for sure and I would not make my sole decision whether or not to buy now on info you get from here.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
your teacher sounds spot on. In fact they are going to drop the macbook Pro line (the most popular machine apple currently makes) and carry only the white macbook. they spent all that R&D to redesign the macbook pro a year ago just to drop it. (sense the sarcasm?)

I think if you would have really stopped and asked yourself if that made sense you would have never posted this.

Apple just refreshed the macbook pro line in June. they normally update every 7-9 months. and by update i mean a processor bump, or a new feature such as when they added the SD card. They redesign the form factor every few years.

lastly, anything that anyone tells you here about a pending refresh and the details of it, are pure speculation. NO ONE here knows for sure and I would not make my sole decision whether or not to buy now on info you get from here.
Lol who cares if he/she posted this:D

Nano2k

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Europe
"total Mac fan-boy" and reality are two things that do not fit well together^^

(fanboys and reality in general):D

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
"total Mac fan-boy" and reality are two things that do not fit well together^^

(fanboys and reality in general):D
I actually find that people who resort to calling other people "fanboys" are the ones with less grasp on reality, but whatever.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
No. The Macbook Pro is NOT going to be discontinued for the foreseeable future. They have no reason too as it is still a very big seller as people love laptops. In fact laptops are the biggest selling computer form factor worldwide.
If anything people think the Mac Pro will be phased out, maybe but not for a long time yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.