Are they getting rid of Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdmfrocker14, Nov 21, 2009.

1. sdmfrocker14 macrumors newbie

My teacher who is a total Mac fan-boy and I were discussing why when Mac came out with the recent new addition to iMac, MacBook, and the others... why didn't they do anything to MacBook Pro? His answer was they are weeding it out and doing something else, possible just having the Macbook. What I'm wondering is if anyone heard this is true, or maybe they are just being updated seperatley soon? I planned on buying a new Macbook Pro but I don't really want to if they are going to be out of date or no longer in production... anyone have any knowledge of either?

2. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

They are not weeding out the MBP anytime soon.
    They don't always refresh or update every line simultaneously.

And if they are, it's a stupid decision.

But I'm inclined to think your teacher is talking out of his arse, or greatly misinformed.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

They just updated the MBP recently. There was only one old MB model, so it was sorely due for an update. Nothing to see here. They won't get rid of the MBP.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't see the flagship laptop in Apples line being discontinued.

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Only :apple:. ;)

I seriously doubt it though, the just updated the white MacBook in order to have a low-end lap top. They are pretty proud of the Unibody design for the MBP. I don't think they will end the line anytime soon.
    :)

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The MacBook Pro was updated a year ago and refreshed in June. How often does it need an update? I would expect new i5 MBPs 1stQ 2010.

7. sdmfrocker14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think they might update it soon? Because like I said I dont wanna buy one if its gonna be out of date anytime soon...

8. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

If they do, it'll be in the next few months (1Q 2010). So if you can wait, you might just want to do that.

9. sdmfrocker14 thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I wait until 1stQ 2010 to get one or is it not gonna be a huge difference?

10. sdmfrocker14 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL my questions keep getting answered the same time i post them...

11. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Just remember that anything we post here about and update or refresh is nothing but speculation.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes. Next goes the Mac Pro and iPod touch - they just can't sell any of them.

13. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I buy when I need to buy, and don't worry a whole lot about what's coming. I bought my MBP in August. I can't tell you to buy or hold. You have to make that decision for yourself.

14. prodigee macrumors 6502a

There is no way they would ever phase out the MBP's, Apple doesn't do all their refreshes at the same time. It makes no sense to have 3 product updates in the span of a year, there would be a great deal of pissed of customers if that were the case.

For anyone who can wait to buy a MBP, I would indeed wait until 2010 for the update, because it will be a significant upgrade to what it is now, or at least from what I have heard, and know about the technology.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah, Apple updates separately. The Mac Pro hasn't been updated, the MBA hasn't been updated along with the MacBook PRO.

16. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

your teacher sounds spot on. In fact they are going to drop the macbook Pro line (the most popular machine apple currently makes) and carry only the white macbook. they spent all that R&D to redesign the macbook pro a year ago just to drop it. (sense the sarcasm?)

I think if you would have really stopped and asked yourself if that made sense you would have never posted this.

Apple just refreshed the macbook pro line in June. they normally update every 7-9 months. and by update i mean a processor bump, or a new feature such as when they added the SD card. They redesign the form factor every few years.

lastly, anything that anyone tells you here about a pending refresh and the details of it, are pure speculation. NO ONE here knows for sure and I would not make my sole decision whether or not to buy now on info you get from here.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol who cares if he/she posted this:D

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What does the Mac Pro have to do with anything?

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Because the MBP isn't the only Mac that hasn't been updated...

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

(facepalm)

21. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

How do I put this delicately, son? Your teacher....

Well....

He's a dumb ass.

22. Nano2k macrumors regular

"total Mac fan-boy" and reality are two things that do not fit well together^^

(fanboys and reality in general):D

23. cmaier macrumors G3

I actually find that people who resort to calling other people "fanboys" are the ones with less grasp on reality, but whatever.

24. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Yet another thread devolved into total uselessness. Unsubscribing...

25. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

No. The Macbook Pro is NOT going to be discontinued for the foreseeable future. They have no reason too as it is still a very big seller as people love laptops. In fact laptops are the biggest selling computer form factor worldwide.
    If anything people think the Mac Pro will be phased out, maybe but not for a long time yet.